• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Expanding a list view

bscarl88

Lurker
Jul 2, 2010
I have a tabhost layout with a list in each tab. I am trying to make a listview in a listview like the default music player on the droid, or when clicking on a listview bring up a menu with a list of options (about 7) to choose from. I'm really trying for the former but I can't find anyway to do it, I've tried onListItemClick going to another activity where I will define another list, but it won't work because of errors that I cannot seem to fix to get it working properly.

Code:
	@Override
	public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) 
	{
	  final String[] CDExplorer_tabs = new String[] {"item1", "item2", "item3", "item4", "item5"};
	  super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

setListAdapter(new ArrayAdapter<String>(this, R.layout.list_item, CDExplorer_tabs));

ListView lv = getListView();
	  lv.setTextFilterEnabled(true);
	  registerForContextMenu(lv);
	  public void onListItemClick( ListView parent, View v, int position, long id) 
	  {
		  final Intent i = new Intent(this, CDETabs.class);
		  startActivity(i);
	  }

}
}

any ideas?

That helped me fix the errors! thanks! Now I can't find any tutorials on it so I have a couple more questions sadly. Is there any info on how to open the new list under its appropriate list item (like the droid music player)? Should I create a new list_item layout to reference for the new list? And do I have to create a new class for each item in the new list in a new java file?

Code:
public class AlbumTab extends ListActivity
{
	@Override
	public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) 
	{
	  final String[] CDExplorer_tabs = new String[] {"item1", "item2", "item3", "item4"};
	  super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

setListAdapter(new ArrayAdapter<String>(this, R.layout.list_item, CDExplorer_tabs));

ListView lv = getListView();
	  lv.setTextFilterEnabled(true);
	  registerForContextMenu(lv);
	}
	@Override
    public void onListItemClick(ListView lv, View v, int position, long id) 
    {
  	  final Intent i = new Intent(this, CDETabs.class);
  	  startActivity(i);
    }
}

here is the current list_layout that it references

HTML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<TextView

xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
	    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
	    android:layout_height="fill_parent"
	    android:padding="10dp"
	    android:textSize="16sp" >
</TextView>

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones