1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Expectation for long-term Motorola support?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Swelljibes, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Swelljibes

Swelljibes Lurker
    None

Nov 25, 2014
    Male
    I'm considering signing a two-year deal for a Motorola Droid Turbo and am wondering what expectations I should have for long-term support for this phone... After all, Motorola ownership has changed hands twice in the recent past... and although I don't anticipate Lenovo selling off all or part of Motorola in the near future, I do wonder which corporate entity is going to take responsibility for anything Droid Turbo related... from physical/hardware related problems to software updates (OS, firmware, bugs, etc.)... and whether the new owners will care as much about a product they didn't create and that has a more limited user base than more widely distributed phones.

Granted, Lenovo would certainly be doing their image (or actually, the image of Motorla) a disservice if they start out by ignoring the current Droid community, but I'm just wondering...

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

I believe two things are important and need to be addressed every time you get a new phone ...
    • Visit the carrier and handle the phone in question. After you hold it for 10 sec you will know if it is right for you. (It doesn't make any difference that it is close to perfect for me.) If you don't know after 10 sec ... don't buy it.
    • When are you going to replace the phone you are about to buy? 1yr? 2yr? never? This will guide you in the decision.
    ... Thom

whitehat likes this.
  3. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    You can say that about just about any android phone now. Samsung has had profits and sales slashed this year. Htc seems to be barely hanging on. Who knows if either of them will be willing to continue develop for their phones they're selling now?

That part remains a guess for anybody but apple it seems these days.

Motorola for now is continued to be managed as if it was a wholly owned subsidiary. Their management and staff remain in the Chicago area. They say that they are committed to selling close to stock android devices that they will develop for two full years with an aggressive update schedule. Hopefully that will continue.