• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

expecting 5+ days on stock battery

is there a way to turn off 3G without root?

Yes it's real easy, it's the mobile data icon from your preferable widgets. I bought switchpro for $1 which lets me customize the on/off widgets in one bar, and it looks more pleasant. I mainly bought it because it can place like 6-8 icons in one row for quick one-touch ON/OFF of many things like 4g, 3g, wifi, bluetooth, gps, led flashlight, etc.

Reactions: JunBringer
Upvote 0
To the op, this is what I'm getting from what you're doing.

You don't use your phone at all. A PDA would best off, along with a regular flip phone, for you.
I mean... really? You might as well just shut your phone completely off then go get a watch... save you the hassle of having to wake up your phone to see the time.

I think the Evo may have been your most expensive impulse buy to date judging from how its used.

agreed

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm amazed at some of the responses here. :(

First off, congrats on getting a phone that YOU wanted to have! IMO, that's an important thing to do.

Secondly, I'm glad to see that the phone is doing what YOU want it to do. 99% of the time, myself included, people don't use their phones to the MOST of the potential of the phone. It sure is nice to have the option there when needed though!!!

Finally, that's some awesome battery life (even if only using it sparingly). Thanks for sharing the information with us!!!

:)

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm amazed at some of the responses here. :(

yeah.. i am with you... some people think others should all think and do as them!

so.. what if he only uses it less than 10% of its possibilities??

so.. if a person gets a super sports car.. but never breaks the speed limit on the road. He has no right to that car???
and you will belittle him for it? He should get a Civic instead?
I believe everyone has the right to do what they want with thier toys!

Upvote 0
Yes it's real easy, it's the mobile data icon from your preferable widgets. I bought switchpro for $1 which lets me customize the on/off widgets in one bar, and it looks more pleasant. I mainly bought it because it can place like 6-8 icons in one row for quick one-touch ON/OFF of many things like 4g, 3g, wifi, bluetooth, gps, led flashlight, etc.

Thanks! Yeah I use the "More Icons" widget for that. It's neato.

Upvote 0
I'd like to add something to this thread.

The other night, I fell asleep before being able to put in a good 4 hours of EVO. Sorry to the purists...but I was tired.

I ended up going 12 hours off the charger based on the battery usage stats...and I had used up like 11% of my total battery. I recall seeing it at 51% when I pulled it off the charger, and the next morning when I looked at it again, I was at 40%.

The thing that was odd to me was the Andoird OS usage. It was the lowest I had ever seen it...7%.

I usually get 50% or higher on the Androind OS usage. Cell standby and WiFi were tied at 31% of the used battery...

So if you treat the EVO like a cell phone (even if you aren't rooted) you can get stellar time out of it. Had I turned off 3G and Wifi, I may have gotten by with 8% total usage over 12 hours.

The point is...you don't have to use the phone all the time to justify owning it. Sometimes, I prefer my laptop's 17" screen...and at other times, I like my PC's 22" screen. Hell, at times, I even sleep. If I know that I will be gone for awhile, I limit my EVO usage so that it lasts me a whole day.

It's not that hard to do. If you can't put the EVO down, you may have a problem.

Upvote 0
It's not that hard to do. If you can't put the EVO down, you may have a problem.

Yes. I believe I do. I am not alone.

50+ texts today, some texas hold em on break, and a bit of streaming pandora and a couple webpages. Wait, I checked my calendar for tonight too.

Go ahead, lock me in a padded room. Please make sure I have signal and an outlet.

Upvote 0
Yes. I believe I do. I am not alone.

50+ texts today, some texas hold em on break, and a bit of streaming pandora and a couple webpages. Wait, I checked my calendar for tonight too.

Go ahead, lock me in a padded room. Please make sure I have signal and an outlet.

Padded cells are for violent crazies (iPhone users), not an EVO addict. Before I got an EVO, I didn't reach for my phone every 27 seconds like I do now. I am intentionally using it less than desired at this time. I don't want to put in more than a couple of hours each day fiddling with it. I find myself using it more than 4...and that's just not right for me.

It's funny that you mention the outlet and signal...

I was thinking the other day...if I ever had to go to prison for life...I'd be OK as long as I could use the EVO and keep it charged.

Upvote 0
Wow, that's pretty good life and I can see a few uses for it. A few years ago I was stuck in a hurricane for 3 days and actually 4 without power (Wilma in Cozumel). I was babying my A900 to make it through and it finally died. Spent 11 days in the mountains of NM hiking this summer with the Evo. I made it with some power to spare but not that much. There are situations where extending the run can be very helpful.

Upvote 0
I am expecting more than 5 days of battery life using the stock battery.

Right now I'm at 79% and it's been 40 hours since unplugged.

This is what I configured:
Rooted
Installed ROM superevo
Installed Kernel 7.6 BFS SnapTurbo enabled
Installed setcpu with profile of screen off set to 245mhz, while keeping regular usage at 1ghz
Turned off back ground data
Turned off 3g

My minimal usage so far contained:
1 missed phone call
2 short phone calls (total probably less than 5 minutes)
3 text messages
2 sessions of manually turning 3g on and autosyncing my work calendar
2 sessions of short usage of navigating around the phone (calendar, settings, etc.)
10-20 times of pressing power switch to check clock

I will update again when my battery finally dies after minimal use, and also grab a shootme screenshot.

Good battery life can be attained!!!

Update:
I wrote up a post-review on my blog:
Ed's Android Apps: 7 days battery potential

Ummm ya you turned everything off. Actually im fully stock on my phone and i can get 2 or 3 days if i leave 3G off. But whats the point of that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones