• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Experimenting with Alternate Browsers (xScope 2.5)

droiiiiid

Nov 9, 2009
So I'd been using the default for the first few weeks I had the phone. Then I moved to Dolphin.

Dolphin has been a little spotty lately, so I did a quick search to see what, if any, others are out there.

That brings me to xScope 2.5. Right now, it doesn't have many features. You can't open something in a new tab or window, for instance. There's no long-press functionality for links and pages yet.

But it's lightweight, fast, and has a flawless pinch-to-zoom. For now, I'll be foregoing features for the sake of having this browser work smoothly and quickly.

Anyone else tried it? I ponied up the $3 for the full version.

I'll check that one out, thanks. I do have Opera installed (which is what I use a lot on linux and Windows) but it's a bit... limited, I guess. I need to spend some more time with it.

Will check out Dolphin too.

Opera is great on Blackberries and WinMo phones because the other options are sub-par. On Android phones, the default browser (and Dolphin as well) are so much better, there's really no need to use Opera. Give Dolphin a shot, a lot of people like it. Personally, I like the stock browser. I don't see the appeal in Dolphin (aside from tabs) that is being raved about, but to each his own.

Upvote 0
I can't believe the default browser doesn't allow you to sync your Google Bookmarks. Thankfully Dolphin does, so that's mainly why I am using it. It's really nice to be able to manage my bookmarks from a website, adding in mobile sites as I find them, and having them available on my phone with no hassle.

I'm sure the browser will get this feature eventually, but I'm surprised it doesn't already.

Upvote 0
I can't believe the default browser doesn't allow you to sync your Google Bookmarks. Thankfully Dolphin does, so that's mainly why I am using it. It's really nice to be able to manage my bookmarks from a website, adding in mobile sites as I find them, and having them available on my phone with no hassle.

I'm sure the browser will get this feature eventually, but I'm surprised it doesn't already.

Dolphin wiped out all of my bookmarks, I also don't like the gestures based navigation. So far the built in browser is the best one for me. I've not run into any issues with it so far.

Upvote 0
I'm still using the Default Browser, waiting for Firefox to be released.

I'm trying to get away from FireFox on my desktops. The only one that still has it is my Mac. I'm using Chrome on my windows machine and my Linux boxes. Firefox has become too laggy and unresponsive for me the last half dozen updates. I only run one addon, and that's adblock plus. I won't run a browser that doesn't have ad blocking of some kind. If I wanted to see ads I'd watch tv, wait, I don't watch tv for that reason either.....

Upvote 0
I'm trying to get away from FireFox on my desktops. The only one that still has it is my Mac. I'm using Chrome on my windows machine and my Linux boxes. Firefox has become too laggy and unresponsive for me the last half dozen updates. I only run one addon, and that's adblock plus. I won't run a browser that doesn't have ad blocking of some kind. If I wanted to see ads I'd watch tv, wait, I don't watch tv for that reason either.....

Speaking of which, it's killing me that we lack ad block on mobile browsers. That's where it'd be MOST useful.

Upvote 0

so chrome has ad-blocking now? i didn't know that.

Upvote 0
so chrome has ad-blocking now? i didn't know that.

There are two good ones. One is just called "AdBlock" which I use. The author is highly responsive and releases like, 10 updates a day.

The other is AdThwart. Worked okay the last time I used it, but for me, AdBlock works best.

AdBlocking isn't as good on Chrome yet because there's no way for the extensions to block the ads before they appear, so a lot of the times you'll see an Ad that goes away after a moment or two. There's just no way around that at this time.

Upvote 0
There are two good ones. One is just called "AdBlock" which I use. The author is highly responsive and releases like, 10 updates a day.

The other is AdThwart. Worked okay the last time I used it, but for me, AdBlock works best.

AdBlocking isn't as good on Chrome yet because there's no way for the extensions to block the ads before they appear, so a lot of the times you'll see an Ad that goes away after a moment or two. There's just no way around that at this time.

Yea, I'm using AdThwart, and Chromed Bird(gotta have twitter).

Upvote 0
Dolphin has been great for me...love the option to customize gestures for navigation/commands, clearly the easiest and fastest way to use those features for me. To do a quick touch and swipe to go back/forwards, access or set bookmarks, etc., is just a perfect integration of a touch screen into browsing...

I didn't have any issues with Dolphin messing w/my bookmarks, and the performance has been very good.

I thought I liked the stock browser too much to switch, but one day after trying Dolphin, I made Dolphin my default browser.

Upvote 0

chrome just came out for mac, so no need for firefox at all now ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones