• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Experts needed - Flashing Firmware

nassafellow

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
Ok so here is my problem.

I have a T-Mobile UK phone. Got it from them when it first came out so they didn't have all their branding things put on. I waited a huge amount of time for froyo. Delivered mid December. I heard there were problems with it, so I called Samsung who recommended I install it even if it has bugs (rather than using Odin to get the stock release which had no known flaws).

So I upgraded and experienced the following issues:

1) Messaging would force close - solved by doing a factory reset.
2) Messages from other people come up in green after flashing yellow for a short period of time
3) Cannot put apps on the sd card (comes up with "no space" although it has many gigabytes)
4) Now a big T-Mobile start-up tone

So I initially put up with the latter three. I wanted a faster system though so I used Voodoo lagfix. Now the speed is still slow - probably because all my apps are on the phone.

I want to flash the Samsung stock firmware that they released for everyone. But there are so many!!!
I was wondering whether there is any way to find out which is the one I should flash.
Also please tell me what steps I need to take with Voodoo before doing the flash. Do I disable Voodoo or completely remove it?
My phone's baseband version: I9000BOJP3 Build Number: FROYO.BOJPB Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 curio@carton #Voodoo-stable-5.0.1 Firmware version: 2.2
Current version: PDA:JPB / PHONE:JP3 / CSC:JP5

Please be specific and patient in your reply rather than "off handedly" sending me somewhere else mentioning "Goots guide" when I have no idea what or where it is because if you write without any intention of me understanding, there's no point in answering.

Many replies wanted. The more info the better!

Thanks so much!

nassafellow
:)

JPX is currently the most stable release from Samsung, Android 2.2.1. Download it from XDA or samfirmware.com, and flash it using Odin. you need to disable Voodoo first (create a folder in the voodoo folder called "disabled lagfix".) No need to remove the kernel.

Edit: Forgot about JPY. That came after JPX. Not sure if there's any difference at all between the two.

Reactions: nassafellow
Upvote 0
JPX is currently the most stable release from Samsung, Android 2.2.1. Download it from XDA or samfirmware.com, and flash it using Odin. you need to disable Voodoo first (create a folder in the voodoo folder called "disabled lagfix".) No need to remove the kernel.

Edit: Forgot about JPY. That came after JPX. Not sure if there's any difference at all between the two.

Of course after you create the folder "disable lagfix", you should reboot your phone. Just creating it won't disable lagfix.

About which to flash, actually the ideal one is the same as yours. I mean if you use JPU, find another JPU, vice versa.

Post your phone details and somebody would choose a ROM for you, or lead you. I subscribed, actually. I can help you if you want.

Upvote 0
Of course after you create the folder "disable lagfix", you should reboot your phone. Just creating it won't disable lagfix.

About which to flash, actually the ideal one is the same as yours. I mean if you use JPU, find another JPU, vice versa.

Post your phone details and somebody would choose a ROM for you, or lead you. I subscribed, actually. I can help you if you want.

Thanks to both of you for your answers...

So checking the firmware website:
(Login -) - The link won't come up but it's the samfirmware website in the i9000 section.
The last three of the European (blue) ones are JPB, JPU and JPX.

From your suggestion, does this mean I should use JPB? I have noticed that JPU and JPX are both 2.2.1 whereas JPB is 2.2
What would you recommend in this case, as JPU and JPX are obviously the latest releases, but I don't know if there would be compatibility issues or anything?

Also, no sign of JPY.

Upvote 0
Well, this might sound funny to you, but I had 2.2 JPO and now 2.2.1 JPU.
I guess this same code thing only for custom ROMs, as they might sometimes not be a full.

I mean, I changed my version and nothing happened. So, then I don't know but snapper.fishes said that the most stable one is JPX.

But be sure to remove lagfix. I though the folder we should create is "disable lagfix" but snapper said "disabled lagfix". You should find out which is the right folder name.

Upvote 0
Well, this might sound funny, but I had JPO and when I updated to 2.2.1, I changed to JPU. So actually, you should use the same if you flash a custom ROM.
So then, as snapper said, JPX is currently the most stable release from Samsung, Android 2.2.1. Download it.
But be sure that you removed the lagfix. And about the folder name you have to create in voodoo folder, I am not sure if it was "disable lagfix" or "disabled lagfix". You might want to google for it.

Upvote 0
Well, this might sound funny, but I had JPO and when I updated to 2.2.1, I changed to JPU. So actually, you should use the same if you flash a custom ROM.
So then, as snapper said, JPX is currently the most stable release from Samsung, Android 2.2.1. Download it.
But be sure that you removed the lagfix. And about the folder name you have to create in voodoo folder, I am not sure if it was "disable lagfix" or "disabled lagfix". You might want to google for it.

"disable_lagfix"

Upvote 0
Well, this might sound funny to you, but I had 2.2 JPO and now 2.2.1 JPU.
I guess this same code thing only for custom ROMs, as they might sometimes not be a full.

I mean, I changed my version and nothing happened. So, then I don't know but snapper.fishes said that the most stable one is JPX.

But be sure to remove lagfix. I though the folder we should create is "disable lagfix" but snapper said "disabled lagfix". You should find out which is the right folder name.

Thanks. "disable lagfix" works for me.
So basically...
1) I should use ODIN to go for JPX (same installation method as voodoo i.e. without ticking any other boxes such as partition etc?)
2) I've heard Kies doesn't work with JPX. Is this true? (I don't use it much anyway)
3) Does it wipe all your data, and do you recommend a factory reset?
4) Any bugs?
5) I've heard that it is far faster than 2.2 is this true? Will I have any problems using voodoo lagfix thereafter?

Thanks for again all your help.

Upvote 0
Let me try to answer for you.
1. Did you download the ROM? I think there will be 3 files of ROM and one PIT file. Tell me about that, so we can decide.
2. I am using JPU, and I never used KIES, so I really don't know. Actually I don't know what makes KIES very important for some people.
3. You will need to run a factory reset, so that doesn't matter. People reported that phone became laggy after flashing a new ROM, and got better after a factory reset. So, backup!
4. Some people experienced some issues, but personally everthing is very good for me. I think I got lucky. Just search the forum for it. Maybe with keywords '2.2.1 problems' or something like that.
5. Some people said they even didn't need a lagfix. I am one of them, so I don't know about voodoo. But if you will try to root it, this is a little different.

Upvote 0
Thanks. "disable lagfix" works for me.
So basically...
1) I should use ODIN to go for JPX (same installation method as voodoo i.e. without ticking any other boxes such as partition etc?)
2) I've heard Kies doesn't work with JPX. Is this true? (I don't use it much anyway)
3) Does it wipe all your data, and do you recommend a factory reset?
4) Any bugs?
5) I've heard that it is far faster than 2.2 is this true? Will I have any problems using voodoo lagfix thereafter?

Thanks for again all your help.

1) from jpo i upgraded to jpx, no re-partition, no pit file. just the pda
2) jpx connect with kies (latest)
3) it won't wipe your data and i did not do a factory reset (scored 1200 in benchmark without lagfix)
4) none yet (been using 4 days now)
5) yes faster than 2.2. don't applied lagfix anymore after jpx update.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys,

I'm downloading winrar as we speak to open the rar file. Thing is, this morning JPY was uploaded to the website. Anyone know whether this is a stable release? Also if I were to find JPY a problem, would it be possible to install JPX after? (e.g. Installing windows 95 on a vista computer may prove impossible due to it being very difficult to rollback)

Meanwhile can someone please explain the following terms to me:

Repartitioning - and why you would do it
What is the difference between a rom and firmware?
Does 'flashing' mean installing?
What is rooting?

I'm really sorry, I have honestly spent hours trying to find out as much info as I can before asking. You can only learn if you ask I guess.

I'll be in touch.

Upvote 0
There is just one file? That's odd, my download had 3 of them.
Then you will flash it, the tar file. You will put it into the PDA in Odin. And I am not sure if you will need a PIT file. I used 512.PIT, but your file seems different so, I am not talking about that in order not to do any harm to your phone :)

Rooting: If you used Linux, you might know about it. It gives you superuser rights. That means you can explore and change system files. Some programs need your phone to be rooted in order to be installed.

Repartitioning: I have flashed 6-7 times, but never used, so I really don't know what it is.

Basicly, flashing means installing the ROM, so yes :)

About the versions, I suggest you to be sure that the ROM file has your language. I don't know what differences exist between these two version.

Upvote 0
There is just one file? That's odd, my download had 3 of them.
Then you will flash it, the tar file. You will put it into the PDA in Odin. And I am not sure if you will need a PIT file. I used 512.PIT, but your file seems different so, I am not talking about that in order not to do any harm to your phone :)

Rooting: If you used Linux, you might know about it. It gives you superuser rights. That means you can explore and change system files. Some programs need your phone to be rooted in order to be installed.

Repartitioning: I have flashed 6-7 times, but never used, so I really don't know what it is.

Basicly, flashing means installing the ROM, so yes :)

About the versions, I suggest you to be sure that the ROM file has your language. I don't know what differences exist between these two version.

I've looked really carefully at the site. It says if there is only one file it will need to be put as the PDA - it will work as a normal firmware does. It says if it is one file, SKIP RE-PARTITIONING and use only .pit files if you have three files.

It does say 512.PIT next to the download, so what does this mean?

So far I am this far on what to do:

1) Check lagfix is disabled and backup data
2) Make sure phone is fully charged
3) Start up ODIN
4) Put the .tar file in the PDA section (hence having only that box ticked)?
5) Don't have the re-partitioning box checked
6) Unsure about whether to have Auto-reboot checked
7) Unsure whether to have 'F. Reset Time' checked
8) Unsure about what to put in the pit section (if anything at all?)
9) Turn off phone and remove simcard (I don't have an external SD card or I'll remove that too)
10) Plug in phone (making sure the latest driver software is installed, but KIES is fully exited/disabled on the computer.
11) Turn on phone using the triple button method (DOWN Volume button + Menu Button + POWER button
12) It should go into the download mode (Don't turn off target!!)
13) The phone should show up on ODIN
14) Press Start
15) Wait.
16) Blue bar should complete in about 2 minutes
17) Phone should restart automatically
18) Takes a long time to boot for the first time
19) Do a factory reset
20) Fill in details as usual and enjoy!

Noting that I can't open the .tar file and it is encrypted, I am taking it that I should leave it as it is rather than trying anything to decrypt it. (I should just plug it in ODIN)???

Could someone please fill in the missing bits for me (the Unsure bits)? And correct me where I am wrong? I want to make sure this is perfect.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
You tell and I check:

1) Check lagfix is disabled and backup data - Check
2) Make sure phone is fully charged - Check (Doesn't need to be, but would be nice)
3) Start up ODIN - Check :)
4) Put the .tar file in the PDA section (hence having only that box ticked)? - Check, that's right.
5) Don't have the re-partitioning box checked - If site says so, yes.
6) Unsure about whether to have Auto-reboot checked - Leave it as it is (I think it's checked)
7) Unsure whether to have 'F. Reset Time' checked - Leave it as it is (I think it's checked)
8) Unsure about what to put in the pit section (if anything at all?) - You say that site says you need a 512.PIT, so download it and put it.
9) Turn off phone and remove simcard (I don't have an external SD card or I'll remove that too) - These two aren't really needed with Odin, do it as you like.
10) Plug in phone (making sure the latest driver software is installed, but KIES is fully exited/disabled on the computer. - Yes, no KIES.
11) Turn on phone using the triple button method (DOWN Volume button + Menu Button + POWER button - That is download mode.
12) It should go into the download mode (Don't turn off target!!) - Yes, pray that electricity doesn't go off :)
13) The phone should show up on ODIN - Check
14) Press Start - Check
15) Wait. - Check
16) Blue bar should complete in about 2 minutes - Might take longer, don't have heart attack.
17) Phone should restart automatically - If you check on Odin, of course.
18) Takes a long time to boot for the first time - Yes, and I always anxious with the first time :) I paid lots of money, still paying.
19) Do a factory reset - Yes, they say phone gets better after factory reset.
20) Fill in details as usual and enjoy! - And if something went wrong, post to the forum before trying again. Maybe people say what was wrong with your procedure.

And, I always firstly switch to download mode, then plug the phone in and set Odin up. But I don't think your procedure is wrong.

Everything should be good.

Upvote 0
You tell and I check:

1) Check lagfix is disabled and backup data - Check
2) Make sure phone is fully charged - Check (Doesn't need to be, but would be nice)
3) Start up ODIN - Check :)
4) Put the .tar file in the PDA section (hence having only that box ticked)? - Check, that's right.
5) Don't have the re-partitioning box checked - If site says so, yes.
6) Unsure about whether to have Auto-reboot checked - Leave it as it is (I think it's checked)
7) Unsure whether to have 'F. Reset Time' checked - Leave it as it is (I think it's checked)
8) Unsure about what to put in the pit section (if anything at all?) - You say that site says you need a 512.PIT, so download it and put it.
9) Turn off phone and remove simcard (I don't have an external SD card or I'll remove that too) - These two aren't really needed with Odin, do it as you like.
10) Plug in phone (making sure the latest driver software is installed, but KIES is fully exited/disabled on the computer. - Yes, no KIES.
11) Turn on phone using the triple button method (DOWN Volume button + Menu Button + POWER button - That is download mode.
12) It should go into the download mode (Don't turn off target!!) - Yes, pray that electricity doesn't go off :)
13) The phone should show up on ODIN - Check
14) Press Start - Check
15) Wait. - Check
16) Blue bar should complete in about 2 minutes - Might take longer, don't have heart attack.
17) Phone should restart automatically - If you check on Odin, of course.
18) Takes a long time to boot for the first time - Yes, and I always anxious with the first time :) I paid lots of money, still paying.
19) Do a factory reset - Yes, they say phone gets better after factory reset.
20) Fill in details as usual and enjoy! - And if something went wrong, post to the forum before trying again. Maybe people say what was wrong with your procedure.

And, I always firstly switch to download mode, then plug the phone in and set Odin up. But I don't think your procedure is wrong.

Everything should be good.

Awesome. Due to the words about not installing a pit file on the website, I have chosen to proceed without the pitfile - "Use only .PIT files if you have 3 files!" and 1 file select NO .PIT next to the download. As I say, there is only one file there so I am doing it as PDA.

I am currently downloading KIES to get the drivers onto this laptop. I'll let you know how it goes. *(Praying)*

Upvote 0
It has booted up beautifully and I couldn't have done it without your help. Thank you so much. God Bless you all and have a very Merry Christmas!

I'm still experiencing the problem of transferring an app to the sd card though... keeps saying "not enough space". Any hints on this?

I'll let you know more about the system over the next few days.

Upvote 0
Just to note I fixed the encryption problem with just typing the code required next to the firmware. If it has # next to it the password is "samsung-firmwares.com", if it has ## next to it, the password is "samfirmware.com"

You were right about leaving the other boxes checked as it is. (F. Reset time and Auto-boot) And I was write not to download and put in the 512.pit file.

Interestingly KIES works with this build. But it doesn't have KIES air. Does have capacity to receive OTA (Over the Air) updated and is now compatible with the T-mobile and Orange Coalition network. The JPY update may have been done to fix the no KIES problem with JPX. The speed is incredible, even with about 120 apps installed to the phone memory!

Apps still don't go to sd even with software. I don't know if there is a method of 'forcing it' because it still thinks there is no space in the sd card. (Don't even know if rooting would solve it). Wondering if I get an external sd card whether this would solve the problem... but then again I don't know whether apps can be installed to an external sd card. Nevertheless, because of the high speed, I don't foresee any problems in the near future and so plan to keep all as it is.

So far, noticed the following changes:

I can have a different lockscreen wallpaper to the standard one. (It boots up with the desert as the default wallpaper)
Calculator font is different when you type
Squares flash up on the browser for a few split seconds when loading a complex page, or scrolling fast - similar to the Samsung Omnia 2 with the Opera browser on Windows Mobile (I can live with this though)
Facebook no longer detects it as a galaxy s, but LS670 (whatever that is)
Quadrant runs extremely fast, but a score of just 1027 - I won't go near lagfix (I don't need it and it could wreck my phone as it has converted to 3e). Quadrant doesn't matter anyway. This OS version is so clearly optimised for speed.
No You can only open 4 windows at a time on the built in browser but skyfire or any other browser should sort you out.

Everything is a whole lot slicker and the speed is unreal! I'm beginning to believe I have a phone with a 1 gb processor!

I didn't have froyo for too long so I can't tell you many more differences between that and 2.2.1, but obviously there a lot different from eclair.

As from T-mobile: Messages received have gone back to yellow again (I'm happy with that)
No longer a silly T-mobile startup and shutdown screen or getting woken up by a tmobile alarm so loud it hurts your eardrums.
Also noted that in eclair the 'S' that comes up at the beginning is connected like a proper s, since froyo however, it shows up with the middle bit missing, more like a galaxy I suppose... continued through to this version.
The 'sweep glass to unlock has flashing arrows going to the side of the screen, although this may have been there since 2.2.
GPS locks in seconds with assist and the sensor aiding on. (Brilliant in my opinion)
Anyway, I'm once again in love with the phone and this time I think it will stay.

CREDITS

To anyone else who reads this forum trying to get answers, many thanks goes to beer-in-box, and the others who have kindly answered my queries and questions. In no other forum, which I posted my questions on, has anyone bothered to answer. As of this day forth... Android Forums... you are the one and only!

Much credit to samfirmware, for without them, none of this would have been possible for me, and the creators of Voodoo lagfix which taught me the basics of ODIN and located me a copy for download.

And of course, Samsung and Google for creating the most marvellous and versatile portable technological instrument I have ever laid my eyes upon... The King of the Iphone Killers... the Galaxy S.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones