1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Explain launchers to a dimwit

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Android Question

My brother Dennis is a bit dim. I installed a 3rd party launcher onto his phone, and he is insists that I "installed a new "operating system".

I have tried to tell him that this isn't the case, and that a launcher is merely a program that sits in top of the actual OS, Android. He doesn't seem to be able to get this through his head, which is doubly frustrating because he's pretty familiar with regular PC's.

I tried to explain its a simple program, not an OS, by equating to something like Steam - which is a program that needs an OS like Window to run. He still doesn't understand and insists that an Android launcher is q replacement OS.

Is there anyone here that can explain this better to him?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Perhaps what he doesn't get is that he had a launcher before you installed one. His original homescreens and app drawer were not part of the OS, but user interface elements provided by the launcher app which came with the phone. All you did was install an alternative with different options.

If the OS had changed then his system settings would have changed (setting menu would look different), and the software information in Settings > About > Software Information would have changed. They haven't, so QED.

But if you really want to prove it, try this: go into Settings > Apps > Downloaded. Select the launcher you installed, then select "clear defaults" (not "clear data"!). Then press the home button: he'll be asked which launcher he wishes to use. Select the original one (whatever it was, which depends on the phone model) but choose "once only" and he'll have his original desktop back. Press home again and select your new launcher and he'll have the new one. Showing that you can just swap between the two by choosing a different app should be enough to convince him that it's just an app and not a different OS.