• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exposre and ISO controls no effect on Video on Note 4

stevecrye

Lurker
Nov 9, 2014
For my first smartphone, I got the Note 4. Of course, I did not expect it to perform on video like my Panny GH3 or Sony NX5/NX70.

But, it has a very annoying defect, wondering if all Note 4's have the problem.

The exposure settings such as ISO , +/- , only affect stills. With video, when using them, on the preview before starting the recording, they seem to be working. And, they work for stills. But as soon as the recording starts, the image on the screen reverts to the default look. For example, if I boost the exposure +2, the preview looks over exposed, and if I drop it to -2, the preview looks underexposed - but neither setting has any effect on the final video. It does not matter which video size or fps is chosen.

Again, all is normal for stills.

After trying and hating some 3rd party camera apps, I contacted Samsung support via chat. Typical offshored frustration, please see below.

---------
Valyncia: I am sorry to say, it is default with the device.
steve crye: Can you please elaborate?
Valyncia: Sure.
Valyncia: I am sorry to inform you that the exposure values are applicable only for the pictures but not the videos which is the reason why the exposure values are not getting applicable for the recording.
steve crye: Can you please provide a link to a document that confirms that?

(At that point the chat operator disconnected the chat!)

I'm pretty disappointed with the video performance. Stuck in auto, with only a tease on the preview that does not actually work is very bad engineering. Even my old flip phone could adjust video exposure!

All feedback and comments most welcome!

Steve

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones