1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Extend battery life at 20 - 80%

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I recently read that to keep a battery at its best requires not letting its charge drop below 20% or rise above 80. Is this true? Is it actually a bad idea to leave a phone plugged in all night?

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Give or take a few percentage points, yes that's what I've heard also.
    Do I follow that recommendation? Not really.
    I leave mine plugged in all night even though it reaches full charge in approx 4 hours depending on how low it was when the charge started, and after reaching 100%, it's still plugged in a few more hours until I wake up. :eek:

Rgarner likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Same here. I also don't let the battery discharge completely. I read somewhere that's bad for it.

Rgarner and Mikestony like this.
  4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Heard that as well, supposedly fully discharging and fully charging them put a bit more stress on the battery and decreases its life time a little.

Keeping it charged around 20-80, 25-75, or in that general area will give you more charging cycles according to tests.

Could be worth doing when convenient, especially with a non-replaceable battery, but if it's at 20% and you have to go to bed I wouldn't stress over charging it all night.

Mikestony likes this.
  5. lvt

lvt Android Expert

25% is considered by many people as a critical battery level, 20% seems even worse.

Rgarner likes this.
  6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

But in reality my previous phone's battery was ok for 3 years and "acceptable" for the 4th, despite always charging it fully overnight (I did try not to run it flat, but didn't rush off to charge it at 25%). So it does depend how much you value optimising that vs convenience. I personally don't have time to worry about very fussy charging regimes.

Rgarner likes this.
  7. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Maybe quick-charge kills the battery faster than overcharging might do (technically you can't overcharge).

Mikestony, Hadron and Rgarner like this.
  8. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I guess I don't have to worry about that unless it means charging it on airplane mode or while it's shut off completely.
    I have done that. The battery's probably not strong enough for fast charging.

9. lvt

lvt Android Expert

If you're not in a hurry, for example the night, you can use a regular charger to charge the phone until full. Slow charging helps reducing harmful stress and heat on the battery.

Mikestony likes this.
  10. merrymann

merrymann Lurker

I use the battery until it off but it is still in good condition and sometimes I forget to disconnect the charger once the battery is fully charged. I don't have any idea whether it is Good or bad.

11. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Not disconnecting when fully charged isn't an issue.

Running the battery until the phone shuts down on a regular basis is definitely bad for it.

lvt and Mikestony like this.