1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Extend SGT soft-button illumination times?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by d4005, Jun 12, 2011.

1. d4005

d4005 Newbie
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Europe
    As an owner of two Android devices (an SGT7 and a Nexus One) I find it frustrating that the order of the 4 soft keys isn't consistent. On the Nexus it's Back/Menu/Home/Search but on the SGT it's Back/Home/Menu/Search. On reading a review of another phone recently, I saw that it was yet another different order. Why on earth didn't Google specify the order as a standard and ask manufacturers to stick to it? If you've only got one device, who cares. But if you've got multiple, it bugs the hell out of you.

Anyway, on my Nexus One phone, even when not illuminated, you can still see the buttons. Their icon is etched into the black surround. No such luck on the SGT7 though. When they're not illuminated, you can't see where they are and naturally can't see the order.

Is there any way to extend the time the key illumination stays on for (without rooting) ? I'd like them to be illuminated for the entire time the device is on and for it only to switch off the illumination when the phone is off or sleeping. If that's not possible, then at least be able to extend the time to something like 2 minutes instead of the 5 or 10 seconds it's currently set at.

Advertisement

2. iks1

iks1 Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    Hey,

Upgrade to Gingerbread (2.3.3) and keys will stay illuminated as long as LCD is on...
    But that bothers me when I am reading a book at night...

BR,
    Andrej

3. d4005

d4005 Newbie
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Europe
    Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately I'm not being offered Gingerbread yet by Kies.

I've heard that Samsung will be rolling Gingerbread out to users via Kies in May 2011, so I'm looking forward to that. Oh wait, it's July 2011. Thanks Samsung.

As for the illumination annoying you, I can imagine that happening. What we want isn't for it to stay on a really short time (which bugs me) or forever (which bugs you). We just want to have control over it, like we do with screen timeout. I personally would have them illuminated as long as the screen is on.

4. d4005

d4005 Newbie
    None

Jun 9, 2011
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Europe
    Of all the days to have a rant about not getting Gingerbread. I only went and got it today (2 hours after I complained about not getting it).

...and yes, the illuminated keys remain lit. Woo Hoo. I haven't looked around yet to see if they can be configured, but for me that doesn't matter. I want 'em always lit :)