1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Extended battery and the battery meter

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ryancalif, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ryancalif

ryancalif Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 8, 2012
    Hi guys,

I purchased a Qcell extended battery (4200mah) for my phone last friday. So far, the battery life has been outstanding... I got the battery with 60% initial charge, and before I plugged it in yesterday it was at 6%. The problem I have is that the battery meter appears to be miscalibrated.

I charged it overnight (~7.5 hours) until full, unplugged it before work at 100%, drove to work (~15 minutes), and it dropped to 87% where it seems to have stabilized.

On my way to work, I didn't even touch the phone and it dropped 13%.. that's obviously not right. So it looks like I need to calibrate the meter... I would assume running the thing down until it shuts off is the correct way, but does this actually do anything from a software perspective? Does the phone reset the low voltage limit for the meter to the point at which the phone shuts off, or is the calibration process all just a myth?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    I think all battery meters are pretty much a finger in the air. A few years ago there was a bit of a fuss when it was revealed that some manufacturers had fixed their meters to show the battery level as full for a longer time than was realistic.

I noticed that after I let my battery go down to 3% the meter seemed to show it slightly fuller for longer subsequently, but that's hardly scientific.

3. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA