1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Extended battery falls off cliff randomly...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Palmetto Fellow, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    I bought one of the $6 extended batteries for my EVO on amazon. I rooted and deleted the batterystats.bin file and used my phone. The battery life seemed pretty good for awhile, and then, one night, I went to sleep at like 50% and woke up to a dead phone.

I assumed that something had gone wrong...so I investigated some. I noticed that Android OS had over 40% use or somehting like that, which seemed odd to me. I deleted the battery stats and decided to start over on training my phone.

I got at least 24 hours on the first charge after doing this which is what I was looking for. It dropped off sharply at the end...I figured it would as it learned the new battery...the steep drop off wasn't a concern for me...as I got 24 hours out of the phone, and Android OS was a mere 2%. Great...I thought to myself.

On the second charge up after resetting battery stats, I got about 24 hours again on the battery. Again, it had a sharp fall near the end of its life (I figured it's still learning this battery).

However last night, I was over 50% and it was dead again this morning. This behavior is however different. Yes, it died sharply...but the volume of the death is what bothers me.

During the second discharge cycle, I went to bed at 15% and woke up at 9%. It only used 6% overnight...so while it was still a sharp drop on the graph...it wasn't a fast drop. Last night was super fast. The Android OS usage isn't even displayed...so it's like 1% or something.

I have all sorts of screen shots over the course of this experience, but I didn't want to fill this thread with images from the start. I can try to arrange them in proper order and make sense out of them if anyone is interested in helping me learn what the heck is happening to my phone.

Advertisement

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    moved you to the rooting section.

what rom and kernel are you on?

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Do you have a wake lock issue?

4. Palmetto Fellow

None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC

I am on Mik2.61 with stock kernel.

Here's a quick picture just to show the phenomenon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am referring to the very steep drop at the very end of the graph. You'll see a period of time where the screen isn't being used. That's about the time I slept. The battery went from 50% to less than 3% in about 6 hours without the screen coming on at all. How do I begin to investigate this issue? Where/how do I determine about the wake lock? Is this where I compare the uptime to the awake time? I wish I had a screenshot of that, but I do recall at times seeing 3 hours of awake to 18 hours of uptime, so this isn't always happening. In fact, I have gone to bed at 15% and woke up to near 9% before, so this is definately intermittent.

The next time it happens, what should I document?

5. Palmetto Fellow

None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

6. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    When I looked at the screenshots I see a lot of awake time.
    Are you leaving your sync on all the time? It seems like either you are logging a lot of screen time, or there is something running while your phone should be sleeping.

I bought a sett of extended batteries from Amazon as well. I'm getting 24 to 30 hours as well, and I see a sharp drop of the battery in the last 10 to 20% as well. I haven't been able to figure it out either. I stopped worrying about it when I realized I'm still getting way more battery time than I need in one day.
    My personal belief is that these batteries just don't have the build quality of the more expensive ones. I'll do a googles search and see what comes up. :)

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    Looks like a wake lock to me, the last part of the graph is solid awake time when OP claims to have been sleeping. Should only lose a few % overnight.

Granite1 likes this.
Tags: