• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

extended battery in EVO 3D?

I'm going to have to agree, it probably will happen even though it will likely be a very awkward addition to the phone. Even more awkward than the Evo 4G. Notice the battery is located very near the bottom of the handset, so adding any extra weight or bulk there is going to make the handset very lopsided.

htc-evo-3d-battery.jpg

Some might propose that since there will be dual cores splitting/logically managing the work load that the battery life will be better, but evidence so far goes against that. Almost all dual-core Android phones suffering from power consumption issue? - Phone Arena All I know is the Evo 3D better come with 2.3.4 to give us the best chance at optimal battery life from a software side of things.

I've seen one HTC accessory site selling spare Evo 3D batteries already, which is always a viable back up option.

Upvote 0
Some might propose that since there will be dual cores splitting/logically managing the work load that the battery life will be better, but evidence so far goes against that. Almost all dual-core Android phones suffering from power consumption issue? - Phone Arena All I know is the Evo 3D better come with 2.3.4 to give us the best chance at optimal battery life from a software side of things.

Respectfully, I think the blog was sensationalizing a single tweet.

Note that part of their "proof" included a discussion of the single-core Thunderbolt as having the dual-core "issue."

This comment to that article said it all:

This article is very wrong. First, the Atrix doesn't have horrible battery life. Second, the Droid X2, which you guys have been playing with, and which runs Froyo, has been reported as having average to better battery life in the reviews about it. Third, you use the Thunderbolt to support your claim of battery issues, but the Thunderbolt is not a dual core phone, it's a 4g phone.
And this:

Hey guys. I have had a chance to use both Samsung Galaxy SII and Xperia Arc over the last couple of weeks and my answer is as follows.
SGSII had a horrible battery life when I bought it, around 8 hours during first full discharge (terrible). I upgraded to the latest FW (also with 2.3.3) KE2 and the result was hugely different: when I sold it it has 48 hours since fully charged and still had 15% of the battery. Same moderate use (no push notifications , internet only when needed, some pics, texts and calls). That phone is amazing!!
As for the Arc, no difference between FW 181 and 183 regarding battery life.
As you read the comments, they sum up what we already know about battery life:

• Watch how you manage 4G
  • Watch how you configure
  • Watch out for runaway apps (the updates seem to be fixing bad apps, not the OS)

There's a reason that other blogs reviewing the SGS2 is saying it has great battery life. (And yep, in the SGS2 forums, some users are having issues - but it's not battery chaos like when the Evo came out.)

~~~~

On-point: I'll bet many aftermarket batteries will happen, just because.

See also -

By the way, last night I stumbled across this excellent database of cell phone battery test results:

BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!

Upvote 0
I bet you [it] would make a phone not unlike a Droid X. Instead of a camera tumor, you would have a battery tumor.

Unless someone gets really creative with embedding a battery in a case.

Exactly the example I was thinking of. Its only semi-similar so I didn't mention it.

Respectfully, I think the blog was sensationalizing a single tweet.

Note that part of their "proof" included a discussion of the single-core Thunderbolt as having the dual-core "issue."

This comment to that article said it all:

Quote:
This article is very wrong. First, the Atrix doesn't have horrible battery life. Second, the Droid X2, which you guys have been playing with, and which runs Froyo, has been reported as having average to better battery life in the reviews about it. Third, you use the Thunderbolt to support your claim of battery issues, but the Thunderbolt is not a dual core phone, it's a 4g phone.
And this:

Quote:
Hey guys. I have had a chance to use both Samsung Galaxy SII and Xperia Arc over the last couple of weeks and my answer is as follows.
SGSII had a horrible battery life when I bought it, around 8 hours during first full discharge (terrible). I upgraded to the latest FW (also with 2.3.3) KE2 and the result was hugely different: when I sold it it has 48 hours since fully charged and still had 15% of the battery. Same moderate use (no push notifications , internet only when needed, some pics, texts and calls). That phone is amazing!!
As for the Arc, no difference between FW 181 and 183 regarding battery life.
As you read the comments, they sum up what we already know about battery life:

* Watch how you manage 4G
* Watch how you configure
* Watch out for runaway apps (the updates seem to be fixing bad apps, not the OS)

There's a reason that other blogs reviewing the SGS2 is saying it has great battery life. (And yep, in the SGS2 forums, some users are having issues - but it's not battery chaos like when the Evo came out.)

Of course they were sensationalizing, that is the job of the media after all. I wasn't going to post it other than the fact to red flag this thread from getting too heady about the wonders of a dual core processor and how we won't need extendo batteries. Will we be better off with dual core? Yes/maybe, but is it a proven solution? No.

Battery life is ultimately subjective and specific to every handset, personal use, and a myriad of other factors. Of course all the other battery saving conventions still apply. I see that article as more filler than anything else just to get heads in the right frame of mind, not preach-able fact.

Reactions: Fubie and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'm going to have to agree, it probably will happen even though it will likely be a very awkward addition to the phone. Even more awkward than the Evo 4G. Notice the battery is located very near the bottom of the handset, so adding any extra weight or bulk there is going to make the handset very lopsided.

I've seen one HTC accessory site selling spare Evo 3D batteries already, which is always a viable back up option.

Sorry, your information is wrong and inaccurate. The moderater Earlymon can tell you why this information you provided is totally false. Dual core phones sip battery and are more efficient from my readings on this forum.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing (hopefully an educated guess) that the Evo 3D will be roughly on par with the SGS2 in terms of battery life.

Sounds like the sensation (which has similar specs to the E3D) lagged a bit behind the SGS2 but was quite a bit better than the prior generation snapdragon HTC phones. Hopefully the larger battery in the E3D (1520 vs. 1730 on the E3D) means it will equal or possibly surpass the SGS2. i.e. it should be able to make it thru a medium to heavy use day on a charge.

I think the one caveat to this is 4G... if you use 4G extensively I'm guessing that is still going to kill your battery life. If 4G is your thing, I'm guessing an extended battery might be a good buy.

I am glad HTC stuck with a removable back cover instead of having a fixed back where the battery slides out of the side of the phone. I'm sure that fixed back cover makes for a more solid build but it rules out extended batteries.

Upvote 0
In the Engadget review of the Sensation it said that it has better battery life than the Galaxy S II.
Quoted from the review
"If battery life is an important consideration in your spec-for-spec comparison with the Galaxy S II, score this as a win for the Sensation."

So, one could assume that the EVO 3D (being essentially a Sensation with the 3D added in and more RAM) having a larger battery should be have really good battery life.

HTC Sensation review -- Engadget

Reactions: apinkel
Upvote 0
I missed the engadget review of the sensation. That's a good sign.

It was posted about an hour ago so it might not have been there if you didn't look recently.

I agree that the the life will be different for everyone, but I'm encouraged by that review. I don't get horrible life with the 4G but will be extremely happy to get some extra time on a charge.

Upvote 0
It looks like there will be a 3200mAh battery coming out soon for $79.99. They're taking pre-orders right now.

Seidio Innocell Super Extended Life Battery for HTC EVO 3D

I hope it comes out really soon. We're getting my wife an Evo 3D on Friday and I'd hate for her to have to put up with the stock battery for too long. I got a 3500mAh battery for my Evo 4G the day I got it and I would never use the stock battery. I tried to once. It was off the charger at 7am and dead by about 2:30pm.

Upvote 0
It looks like there will be a 3200mAh battery coming out soon for $79.99. They're taking pre-orders right now.

I hope it comes out really soon. We're getting my wife an Evo 3D on Friday and I'd hate for her to have to put up with the stock battery for too long. I got a 3500mAh battery for my Evo 4G the day I got it and I would never use the stock battery. I tried to once. It was off the charger at 7am and dead by about 2:30pm.
I'll probably be getting that, as I had the same one you had for my 4G. I'll probably wait til it's on Amazon for cheaper though, like I did with the last one.

Upvote 0

I'll probably be getting that, as I had the same one you had for my 4G. I'll probably wait til it's on Amazon for cheaper though, like I did with the last one.

You guys should do a review after you get it. Battery life/size/weight and all that :)

Reactions: atg284
Upvote 0
Hello everyone. I struggle making it through 5 hours on a full charge so i went ahead and purchased this battery set off of Amazon. It just came in the mail today. I have the batteries charging and will report back after I've used them. Just wanted to share for people who also suffer with bad battery life.

. Laza Sprint HTC EVO 3D 4G 2x Battery + Travel Charger + Case Combo $39.99 In Stock Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping

Upvote 0
Hello everyone. I struggle making it through 5 hours on a full charge so i went ahead and purchased this battery set off of Amazon. It just came in the mail today. I have the batteries charging and will report back after I've used them. Just wanted to share for people who also suffer with bad battery life.

. Laza Sprint HTC EVO 3D 4G 2x Battery + Travel Charger + Case Combo $39.99 In Stock Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping

5 hrs??????? how, i have gmail auto sync, exchange push, bluetooth on, weather auto update. Make approx 2 total hrs of calls from 9-5, 25-50 texts some internet and peggle here and there and i still get about 12 hrs per charge

Upvote 0
5 hrs??????? how, i have gmail auto sync, exchange push, bluetooth on, weather auto update. Make approx 2 total hrs of calls from 9-5, 25-50 texts some internet and peggle here and there and i still get about 12 hrs per charge

I don't know how yall do it LOL. Today is actually really good so far. I'm on 6 hours with 30% left. I'm usually dead by now. But It's already a nice feeling to knkw I have two batteries on deck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones