• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Extended Battery Monitor Calibration?

Seanette

Android Expert
Apr 6, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I'm using a Hyperion 7000mAh extended battery on my SIII, Android version 4.3. Most of the time, it's great, but lately I'm seeing bizarre readings on the system battery monitor (that green battery next to the clock). The numbers simply don't make sense in light of whether I'm on a charger or not, what apps I'm using, etc.

Does anyone know how to make sure the system's monitoring is calibrated correctly for a non-stock battery, or is there an app that would do a better job?

I'm using a Hyperion 7000mAh extended battery on my SIII, Android version 4.3. Most of the time, it's great, but lately I'm seeing bizarre readings on the system battery monitor (that green battery next to the clock). The numbers simply don't make sense in light of whether I'm on a charger or not, what apps I'm using, etc.

Does anyone know how to make sure the system's monitoring is calibrated correctly for a non-stock battery, or is there an app that would do a better job?

You could try the app Battery Monitor Widget. It allows you to set the actual capacity of the battery. I'm not saying it's a certain fix, but it does fine with my Anker 4400mah battery. Then, again, the default battery monitor seems to do fine with it, too.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Speaking of giving it a full charge/discharge, are you using, at minimum, the OEM charger? I have an Anker charger that will do either 1.5a/2.1a, and while it does its job fine, I noticed two things having chargers to compare. More than these two (OEM and Anker).

First, the Anker aftermarket charger does not act like the Samsung does when you reach full charge. The Samsung cuts back or off, I do not have the technical data behind it, so forgive this poor description, but again, the Samsung model on a fully charged Samsung S3 goes into some mode that keeps the phone at 100% over night while not having to activate a "near full" charging mode again.
The Anker charger seems to fully cut off, allowing the phone to discharge, and then the phone will beep and indicate it is charging again. It will do this every 10-15 minutes, infinitely, until unplugged. I didn't know this, at first, and it completely killed my battery life. It showed that it drained three times as fast. I thought it had ruined my battery, but going back to the OEM charger sorted it out after about 4 days later.

Wow, accidentally deleted a lot about 28/24 AWG USB cables. Damn you, android, I need a ctrl+z equivalent. In the end, I was just trying to throw out some ideas that can help eliminate some baseline problems.

Reactions: funkylogik and svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones