1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Extended battery on the T-bolt: Upgrade from square pocket to camel back

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nurseferatu, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Nurseferatu

Nurseferatu Member

Ah, my Droid Incredible. I can still remember waiting for it to arrive...4 months on these forums (fora? Forae? Latin, anyone?), kibbitzing and gathering info...I remember when it arrived, the thrill of opening the box, etc. etc....but of course, now I'm wondering what else is out there. Yes, honey, of course I love you, I did NOT look at that other guy! I swear!

With my Droid Incredible I use a 2750 mah extended battery. It's a little bulky, but not that bad: flat rectangular "bump out" centered in the middle of the back. Still fits in my back pocket without too much distortion ("Did you see that girl with one flat cheek?" OK it's a little bit Geek Girl), and the phone fits nicely in my hand.

Had my eye on the Thunderbolt...that is, until I saw the extended battery. I just know I'd need an extended battery, but it's so frickin ugly you wouldn't believe it.

The Thunderbolt's extended battery gives it this awful curved huge buttinski in the middle of the back. Just what I need--a third buttock to put on top of my OEM! I don't THINK so. "Honey, does this phone make me look fat?" H--l, YEAH.

Guess I'll remain faithful to my Droid Incredible until some more handsome, more powerful, more elegant phone comes along. Bummer.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Good humor!
    I bet you're fun to hang out with :)

3. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Android Enthusiast

I was thinking of asking her to marry me! :D

4. Steven58

Yup. .. do you remember that huge thread, nurse? Now folks are getting excited over the nexus prime. What do you think?

5. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Poo on a nexus!! lol:p

Vigor! Vigor!

6. fallen0127

fallen0127 Member

With a beast like the vigor, who cares how big the extended battery would make it! The size would match the phone itself. However since my upgrade isn't until July next year, they may have a nicer beast out by then..... I have seen rumors of quad core processors *drools a little* that I am sure will take a beastly sized battery.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  7. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert

Actually, isn't it supposed to be the opposite? I have no source, but I'm almost certain I read that with more processors comes better battery life due to less heat generated. Now obviously it takes more power to run 4 of something than just one, but if you're one is constantly maxed out and getting hot and your two (or theoretically four) would use the same amount of power generating more speed and less heat wouldn't battery life be better? Oh well, I'm sure someone will have more informed rants than I. :rolleyes:

EDIT:Wikipedia
    Advantages

The proximity of multiple CPU cores on the same die allows the cache coherency circuitry to operate at a much higher clock-rate than is possible if the signals have to travel off-chip. Combining equivalent CPUs on a single die significantly improves the performance of cache snoop (alternative: Bus snooping) operations. Put simply, this means that signals between different CPUs travel shorter distances, and therefore those signals degrade less. These higher-quality signals allow more data to be sent in a given time period, since individual signals can be shorter and do not need to be repeated as often.
    The largest boost in performance will likely be noticed in improved response-time while running CPU-intensive processes, like antivirus scans, ripping/burning media (requiring file conversion), or file searching. For example, if the automatic virus-scan runs while a movie is being watched, the application running the movie is far less likely to be starved of processor power, as the antivirus program will be assigned to a different processor core than the one running the movie playback.
    Assuming that the die can fit into the package, physically, the multi-core CPU designs require much less printed circuit board (PCB) space than do multi-chip SMP designs. Also, a dual-core processor uses slightly less power than two coupled single-core processors, principally because of the decreased power required to drive signals external to the chip. Furthermore, the cores share some circuitry, like the L2 cache and the interface to the front side bus (FSB). In terms of competing technologies for the available silicon die area, multi-core design can make use of proven CPU core library designs and produce a product with lower risk of design error than devising a new wider core-design. Also, adding more cache suffers from diminishing returns.[citation needed]
    Multi-core chips also allow higher performance at lower energy. This can be a big factor in mobile devices that operate on batteries. Since each core in multi-core is generally more energy-efficient, the chip becomes more efficient than having a single large monolithic core. This allows to get higher performance with less energy. The challenge of writing parallel code clearly offsets this benefit.[4]

8. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

The key word there is "ALLOW". If the OS suppports and makes effective use of the multi-core, the it CAN be more efficient. I don't think Android is effectively supports dual-core chips yet (let alone quad core), and even then, with how most apps are written I think you're more likely to have the phone burn battery at twice the speed than you are to finish the proccesses twice as fast, saving battery.
    I'm convinced the best battery life at the moment would come from a single core processor. That and getting app developers to write better code.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews