• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

extended battery users

New Rising

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2011
I just bought my extended battery yesterday and am using it right now. I woke up this morning with it fully charged and after 1h 10m im at 84%. I expected it to perform better than that. Does it improve after a few cycles i hope? I've been on 4g the whole time too though.

Upvote 0
I just bought my extended battery yesterday and am using it right now. I woke up this morning with it fully charged and after 1h 10m im at 84%. I expected it to perform better than that. Does it improve after a few cycles i hope? I've been on 4g the whole time too though.

Your battery stats need to be reset. Drain the battery till it shuts off and then full charge. When you first put an extended battery in your phone it uses the standard battery stats to tell you how much is left until you do this.

Upvote 0
Your battery stats need to be reset. Drain the battery till it shuts off and then full charge. When you first put an extended battery in your phone it uses the standard battery stats to tell you how much is left until you do this.

I ordered an extended battery...haven't gotten it yet. They usually have SOME charge on them when you receive them.

Should I put it in my phone, run it to TURN OFF, on it's charge it had when I received it? Then fully charge it? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I ordered an extended battery...haven't gotten it yet. They usually have SOME charge on them when you receive them.

Should I put it in my phone, run it to TURN OFF, on it's charge it had when I received it? Then fully charge it? Thanks!

Yes. Use up whats in there and then fully charge it while it is the phone. It will reset the battery stats in the phone.

Upvote 0

That's what I was wondering too, too late for me to do that now though. I'm just going to drain it from 100% until it shuts of today.

Upvote 0

I'm not so sure that this is right. I have the extended battery and for the first time today drained it all the way down and the battery life "percentage" indicator turned out to be pretty much exactly correct. I think the phone somehow senses which battery is in there and adjusts accordingly.

By the way, battery life was 11 hours and this included two solid hours of screen-on continual LTE stock market quote streaming and all-day LTE email flow (albeit with only a few minutes of phone use). This is actually longer usage than I used to get from my 3G Blackberry Tour (using a standard size battery), as the the screen-on stock quote streaming used to be a real BB battery-killer.

Upvote 0
I'm at 40% after 10 hours with 4G, wifi and power hogging Bluetooth on the entire time. Moderate use with a couple hours of music playing.

I think the display may be the largest power user. In my 11 hours with the extended battery (with a 4G connection almost the entire day), the stat meter said that the display was on for over four hours.

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure that this is right. I have the extended battery and for the first time today drained it all the way down and the battery life "percentage" indicator turned out to be pretty much exactly correct. I think the phone somehow senses which battery is in there and adjusts accordingly.

By the way, battery life was 11 hours and this included two solid hours of screen-on continual LTE stock market quote streaming and all-day LTE email flow (albeit with only a few minutes of phone use). This is actually longer usage than I used to get from my 3G Blackberry Tour (using a standard size battery), as the the screen-on stock quote streaming used to be a real BB battery-killer.

Did you put your extended battery in the first day you bought the phone?

Upvote 0
But your phone has basically never established battery stats for a standard battery it has been running off the extended battery stats so you wouldn't need to reset them. If you were using the standard battery and then switched to an extended you should drain it and then fully charge it to get accurate stats.

You don't have to drain it and then charge it, it will eventually catch up and give you accurate readings but t will take some time

Upvote 0
But your phone has basically never established battery stats for a standard battery it has been running off the extended battery stats so you wouldn't need to reset them. If you were using the standard battery and then switched to an extended you should drain it and then fully charge it to get accurate stats.

But how did the battery know how much time was left in it without also knowing it was the extended battery? I mean, on Day 1 that gauge was accurate. How did it know that on Day 1 it didn't have the regular battery in it? I'm not an engineer, but I'll bet you that the phone can somehow tell what size battery is in it and adjusts the meter accordingly. It's easy enough to test: just switch the batteries one day and see if the meter gets it right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones