• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Extending the power cord

rogone

May 20, 2011
Illinois
Has anybody found a way to extend the power cord? I tried putting a USB extension between the plug and the USB end of the cable but the TF did not show it was charging when I plugged it in. It would be nice to find a way to make it longer (at least until somebody comes out with a longer cable) so you can sit at a desk or table with it plugged in.

I'm laughing my head off because I keep reading about people doing all these tricks to figure out how to extend the power cord from the wall charger to the tablet itself. Some people are getting really over the top about it too. This is one of those things that is like the story that goes around the US every April 15th about the different ways the US and the Soviets figured out how to write in space. The US sank A LOT of money into developing a pen that could write in space. The Soviets... used pencils. What is the pencil option here? Use a simple two prong extension cord between the wall socket and the Asus wall plug. It isn't like that thing is a laptop brick. Heck, it isn't even anywhere near the tiny brick on my Asus netbook.

Upvote 0
I'm laughing my head off because I keep reading about people doing all these tricks to figure out how to extend the power cord from the wall charger to the tablet itself. Some people are getting really over the top about it too. This is one of those things that is like the story that goes around the US every April 15th about the different ways the US and the Soviets figured out how to write in space. The US sank A LOT of money into developing a pen that could write in space. The Soviets... used pencils. What is the pencil option here? Use a simple two prong extension cord between the wall socket and the Asus wall plug. It isn't like that thing is a laptop brick. Heck, it isn't even anywhere near the tiny brick on my Asus netbook.

epic! keep it simple!

Upvote 0

You are correct that this is an obvious choice. However, for travel purposes a USB 3 cable takes up a lot less space and dosn't cost anymore that an extension cord. I bought one from monoprice for about $3 and it fits nicly in my TF case when I travel.

Upvote 0
I would contend that a) the space difference between a usb and a simple two prong extension cord is negligible in most luggage for the same length (I always travel with a couple of cameras and a laptop, there's always room for cords.) and b) you can find the two prong extension cords pretty much anywhere you go and at a cheaper price than a usb cord (Just a quick look turned up plenty at $2 but I bet they can be found for cheaper than that.) which means in a pinch, you can buy one and leave it behind if need be. Also, if you ask at a hotel desk, I'm betting they can get their hands on an extension cord a lot easier than a usb 3 cord. That is if they even know that there are different types of usb cords.

Upvote 0
I would contend that a) the space difference between a usb and a simple two prong extension cord is negligible in most luggage for the same length (I always travel with a couple of cameras and a laptop, there's always room for cords.) and b) you can find the two prong extension cords pretty much anywhere you go and at a cheaper price than a usb cord (Just a quick look turned up plenty at $2 but I bet they can be found for cheaper than that.) which means in a pinch, you can buy one and leave it behind if need be. Also, if you ask at a hotel desk, I'm betting they can get their hands on an extension cord a lot easier than a usb 3 cord. That is if they even know that there are different types of usb cords.

The difference in size may be negligable if you are carrying it in your regular luggage. I wanted something that would fit easly in the TF case I have. When I go to meetings out of town I don't lug my luggage along with me. The female end of an extension cord is much larger than the female end of a USB extension cable. And at less than $3 I don't see the small price difference as meaning anything. In the end, this is what I wanted to do. If you chose to do something different, great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones