• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

External Battery Charger question - voltage output

bugeyeblue

Dec 8, 2009
Amazon.com: Genuine Motorola Droid P323 Battery Charger System: Electronics
Amazon.com: Motorola BP6X A855 Droid OEM 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Service
Anyone use these 2 items from Amazon? I'd like to get a second battery and an external charger, this seems like a cheap solution while keeping OEM parts. The only thing I'm really questioning is the voltage output of the external charger to the battery. Any way to tell if it will charger correctly? If you know the answer, please provide reasoning.

I got those a while back.

Unless the battery states specifically that you are receiving a brand new battery, you won't - it is a use one.

The original battery in my DROID was dated 9/20/09 - the ones I receives were 9/21/09 and 12/02/09.

The charger is a multiple charger, in that it handles all of the different BP line of batteries from Motorola. It can accept both mini-USB and Micro-USB for input. I checked all of my mini-USB chargers, all were rated at 550 mA, but the standard wall charger with USB plug that came with the DROD claims 850 mA.

I will say this - perhaps I am running the battery way down, but even with 850 mA, using the charger seems to take longer to charge the batter than using the phone connected to my computer. I cannot understand it when the computer is definitely supplying less voltage, but whatever.

I will say this, though - both of the batteries I purchased from Amazon are going strong, and seem to outlast my original battery by a couple of hours - a good thing considering I am rooted and overclocked.

Reactions: bugeyeblue
Upvote 0
I got those a while back.

Unless the battery states specifically that you are receiving a brand new battery, you won't - it is a use one.

The original battery in my DROID was dated 9/20/09 - the ones I receives were 9/21/09 and 12/02/09.

The charger is a multiple charger, in that it handles all of the different BP line of batteries from Motorola. It can accept both mini-USB and Micro-USB for input. I checked all of my mini-USB chargers, all were rated at 550 mA, but the standard wall charger with USB plug that came with the DROD claims 850 mA.

I will say this - perhaps I am running the battery way down, but even with 850 mA, using the charger seems to take longer to charge the batter than using the phone connected to my computer. I cannot understand it when the computer is definitely supplying less voltage, but whatever.

I will say this, though - both of the batteries I purchased from Amazon are going strong, and seem to outlast my original battery by a couple of hours - a good thing considering I am rooted and overclocked.
So you're saying they're a good buy even thought they're used, and they charge faster on the external charger that when plugged into the phone?

Upvote 0
No, I am saying that, for the most part, they charge slower on the external charger.

Not sure *why* but they do.

However, it is a moot point for me as I put one on overnight and in the morning I have a fully charged one in my DROID and a fully charged spare to carry around in case I need it.
Great, thanks for the info and input. I'll be picking up one of the chargers and now that I'll have 2 batteries it won't matter that it is a slow charge on the external charger.

Upvote 0
For the price of the batteries, get *2* extra batteries - remember, they're not new, so it may work a week and then stop working....

Better safe than sorry. Plus, with 3 batteries, even under an extremely heavy usage pattern, you should be able to get close to 24 hours of usage without being near an outlet.
Your avatar is epic. Thanks for the laugh.

Upvote 0
*snicker* - yeah, I was working at an airport as a lineman for a couple of years, and we also did car rentals.

Opened the trunk of a Taurus to make sure all was clean and saw that and literally fell on my arse laughing my head off. I snapped the pic with my crappy phone back then, and have been using it as an avatar for a while now, at just about every forum I visit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones