• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

External camera?

Sean H

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
Hi,

I'll start by stating that I am not a particularly technically minded individual so please excuse me if this is a daft question.

I have just purchased my first smart phone, a Samsung S3, and am blown away by all it can do and all the other gadgets it seems to be able to replace.

I was also about to purchase a sports helmet cam to film some mountain biking. The helmet cams generally come with internal storage and are for the most part self contained. A good one can be relatively expensive and they are not really that user friendly (compared to my S3's camera anyway).

I got to thinking would it be possible to just get an external camera that can plug into the phone, so effectively using the camera phone just with the video feed coming in off an external camera? I had a look around the net and can see examples where security cameras transmit footage to phones, but I just want a simple bullet camera I can stick to my head and plug into my phone in a rucksack. I have no idea if this is possible, would anyone have any idea?

I could just attach my S3 to my head, but sometimes I hit trees and it might end up being an expensive exercise.

Thanks

Sean

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones