1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps External Database Advice

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Siggles, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Siggles

Siggles Lurker
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Hi, I've searched the forum and the internet but can't get any real definitive answers and would appreciate some advice or help.

I have ideas for a couple of apps that will require the use of an externally hosted database (such as social apps, like Facebook). I need people to be able to register a user account from their Andropid phone then log in (or stay logged in thereafter) and be abel to access data (just an example, but lets say movile titles, or a chat feature) from their phone.

Ideally the database would be SQL as I have some experience there. To be honest I would just liek to know what everyone else is doing.

I have already looked in to the idea of using REST servive but how then does a user stay logged in? Or building a web app which connects first to a php page but I am finding hurdles in regards to sessions and staying logged on etc.

Any help would be appreciated. I think the main question would be, how is everyone else doing it? Which is the most popular database option for Apps, especially apps that might then be used across phone models (iPhone, Blackberry)?

Thank you for your help.

Advertisement