1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General external drive / gamepad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by freeballer, Aug 13, 2011.

1. freeballer

freeballer Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2009
    I've been thinking of getting an android tablet for some time. This one (a500) is definitely top #3. I was wondering if someone could give me a definite yes/no if you can add external (usb) devices like thumbdrives and gamepads?

I have an external drive I keep my main media on. Problem is its a ntfs partition. Can it be rooted and a kernel module added for support OR is it supported out of the box? (at least read only)

I also have an old logitech gamepad I'd like to use on emulators/games. Can it be used, or maybe a ps3 controller?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. I've googled this and haven't found anything specific for this tablet itself.

Thanks
    Geo

Advertisement

2. 1SG31B

1SG31B Well-Known Member
    None

May 25, 2011
    There are several posts on using NTFS drives. Yes, you will nedd to root. Iconiaroot takes about 3 minutes to root the tab and that includes the reboot. If tou search the forum for NTFS you can see there are a couple apps that allow rw mounting of your usb drive.

I will defer to others on the gamepad. With 3.1 there is supposed to be support for game controllers, but I don't have any direct knowlege on what works.

Good luck.

GTbrewer likes this.
  3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    I was able to use small thumbdrives up to 32gb before I rooted my tab as long as they were FAT32 format. But for my harddrives i had to root so it could read the nfts format.

I haven't tried any game controllers ill leave that to my husband when i see him in September but im guessing someone else here probably tried it out.

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    FAT32 works because Android supports FAT32 natively. If you have an Android phone with an SD card, the SD card is formatted FAT32. At first, I was surprised, figuring it would be the Linux format. But the reason is that they had to make it so Android could be used as a disk drive for as many OSes as possible, and FAT32 is the only thing that is common.

5. spooky2k8

spooky2k8 Lurker
    None

Apr 1, 2011
    ive used both a usb gamepro gamepad an a generic mini usb mouse, they worked just fine

6. c-eling

c-eling Lurker
    None

May 3, 2011
    xbox360 usb pad and the logitech usb wireless keyboard/mouse combo work