• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

External Hard Drive

Ian Preddy

Aug 18, 2018
Hi all,

I have an A5 (2017) and wish to be able to look at my Windows PC's photo folders whilst away from home. If I buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-E...al+hard+drive&qid=1569689914&s=gateway&sr=8-4

will I be able to copy my photos (and documents/spreadsheets for that matter) on to the drive and read the files on my phone via USB cable? Would there be any difficulty in transferring Windows-based files to an Android-formatted device?

Thanks,

Ian

Can it take a separate power supply? Most phones' USB sockets won't deliver enough power to run a spinning disk hard drive.

As for compatibility, it will depend on how what filesystem you use. That drive comes formatted as ExFAT, which many Android devices will read but I can't guarantee all will (depends on what the manufacturer did with the software build). There seem to be software workarounds though, though I've not read them in any detail (or, worst comes to the worst, there are tricks to format a drive of that size as fat32, but I'd hope that wouldn't be needed).

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Thanks to you all for your contributions. First, Gecko, the blurb for the product you suggest says "Designed to work with both Windows and Mac." No mention of Android.

Danny - I note that the A5 has a card slot and am using it for a 32GB card already. I'm thinking about an external drive because I could also use it with my Samsung tablet as well as it being a secondary back up.

Hadron - Silly me! I was thinking about the external drive in terms of a memory stick; I'd forgotten about the power requirements. Would a SSD version overcome this issue? I note that the Sandisk product suggested by Danny is of this type. Could it work with a PC and an Android device, though?

Thanks again all. I suppose that in the worst case I could buy a 256GB card for the card slot, which the A5 data sheet says it could accommodate. I could then manually swap between phone and tablet. Price-wise, it would be a better bet than an external drive.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Hi all,

Thanks to you all for your contributions. First, Gecko, the blurb for the product you suggest says "Designed to work with both Windows and Mac." No mention of Android.

Danny - I note that the A5 has a card slot and am using it for a 32GB card already. I'm thinking about an external drive because I could also use it with my Samsung tablet as well as it being a secondary back up.

Hadron - Silly me! I was thinking about the external drive in terms of a memory stick; I'd forgotten about the power requirements. Would a SSD version overcome this issue? I note that the Sandisk product suggested by Danny is of this type. Could it work with a PC and an Android device, though?

Thanks again all. I suppose that in the worst case I could buy a 256GB card for the card slot, which the A5 data sheet says it could accommodate. I could then manually swap between phone and tablet. Price-wise, it would be a better bet than an external drive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones