• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

JohnB47

Jan 14, 2012
Devon, UK
Hi.

I see the new Galaxy Note 10.1 has a memory slot that takes "microSD up to 64GB" according to the specs on Samsungs website.

When I search for this capacity of card, all I can find is either MicroSDHC or microSDXC cards.

Does anyone know if the new tab will accept these type of cards? I've EMailed Samsung with this question - I'll reply here with their response.

Thanks.

You might want to recheck the website. The US website shows that it goes up to 32GB on MicroSD

Specs - Wi-Fi Tabs GT-N8013 | Samsung Galaxy Tab

Thanks.

Hmmm, I'm sure I read 'up to 64Gb' somewhere on the Samsung UK website but now all I can find is what you've quoted. Maybe they spotted the error or I was simply mistaken.

OK, problem solved - 32Gb it is then (although I read a post somewhere that an owner of an Iconia A500 put a higher than spec'ed microSD card in and found that the device accepted it OK).

Cheers.

PS, why are there only white versions of the new Note 10.1 currently for sale. Do they manufacture thousands of white ones first, then switch over to black? If not, where are all the black ones?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
They accept the 64GB microSD cards as long as they're formatted FAT32.

Thanks.

So FAT32 isn't the 'normal' format? Sorry - I'm not very clear on this formatting stuff. How would you format it - in the tab itself?

Also, haris163, I should have explained that I'm in the UK. This tab is very thin on the ground at the moment and any that I've found are white. I'm wondering - wouldn't a manufacturer work with major retailers like amazon.co.uk, to get stocks all lined up for a launch? Seems not to have happened over here.

Finally, as for the original topic - perhaps this review is where I got the (wrong?) info originally:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Review: So Close To Greatness | TechCrunch

Upvote 0
64 GB SanDisk SDXC...

Screenshot_2012-08-20-16-01-04.png

Screenshot_2012-08-20-17-09-06.png

Reactions: JohnB47
Upvote 0
Thanks. That seems clear enough. Did you insert the card and then format it? Just wondering. Also, why would Samsung not boast that the tab takes up to 64Gb additional storage?

Finally, in the bottom picture, what does the 3.85GB figure relate to? Is that what you have remaining of your internal (maybe 16GB) storage?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the excellent response.

Interesting what you say about the manual quoting up to 64GB - different to the spec shown on various websites, including Samsungs. Must look up the 'video intro...'.

I've tried looking for the User Manual but it's currently 'not available' to download on Samsung UK website. I've seen it on other sites but I'm worried that they are virus carriers. Edit: Just found the manual for download on Samsung.com.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.

Can I get this straight. If I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 and insert a 64GB microsdxc card in it and then use the tab to format it, it will work. Yes?

jlschulz - I'm confused as to why you had to "download an app and format a 64 through my pc."

If the User Manual says you can use an 'up to 64GB' card, surely it must mean that the tab can both format that size of card and use it?

Just wondering why all this odd formatting is being done.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.

Can I get this straight. If I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 and insert a 64GB microsdxc card in it and then use the tab to format it, it will work. Yes?

jlschulz - I'm confused as to why you had to "download an app and format a 64 through my pc."

If the User Manual says you can use an 'up to 64GB' card, surely it must mean that the tab can both format that size of card and use it?

Just wondering why all this odd formatting is being done.

Thanks.
If you did the 50 MB OTA update from yesterday then the updated fixes the ability to format SDXC cards.

I tested it this morning and it works fine on my SanDisk 64GB SDXC card.

Upvote 0
There is a script over at xda that allows you to now swap your internal storage and microSD storage space.
It basically allows your 16GB Note 10.1 and have it use the 64GB microsd Card as the main internal for your apps instead of the 16GB.

Check it out.

Only requirements is a rooted ROM so it may be out of reach for certain folks.

TS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones