1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support External SD card always mounted as read only

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by zygd, Sep 19, 2016.

1. zygd

zygd Newbie
    None

Oct 19, 2012
    4K android media box with AML812 chip. 2 USB ports, 1 USB OTG port and one SD card slot. Android 4.4.2 (KitKat?)
    USB drive connected with FAT system is mounted as read/write device, all SD card I have tested were mounted as read only.
    At first I wanted to make firefox to download files to SD card. But firefox had no rights to write to SD.
    At second I thought that firefox can't write to SD because new privilages system in KitKat. So I found a solution on the web and have added media_rw entries in permission.xml file in WRITE_EXTERNAL_SD section. But it didn't help.
    Then I have found out, that SD card is always mounted as read only by default (by terminal and mount command) - i tried 3 different SD cards, no success.
    I have checked SD card with fsck_msdos and externally on my desktop PC - SD card had no errors.
    I tried to remount SD as read/write with mount -o remount,rw device from terminal and it worked but apparently only apps with root privilages can write to SD. Firefox still can't write to SD.
    And if I close terminal the SD returns to read only state.
    Don't know what to do, where to find the solution.
    In vold.fstab there is only one command with dev_mount, and this command doesn't have read/write or read only flags (checked dev_mount in the web).
    There is no fstab.device files on the box, which are common? in KitKat (above android 4.3) so I am not so sure that this is KitKat device.
    Please help to unlock SD card write rights.

Advertisement