1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support External SD Problem?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by r3c0l4, Aug 22, 2011.

1. r3c0l4

r3c0l4 Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Recently I got an 8gb Micro sdhc card for my optimus 2x. I put the card in my phone and connected it to my PC. I put some music files in the "_ExternalSD"
    folder and when I disconnected my phone from the computer, the phone could not find the music files. So I downloaded Astro to see if their were any files in "_ExternalSD" and all I found were the two folders "lost.dir" and some other folder (i think it was "temp" or something). I then tried to manually move some music from my phone's internal storage to the external sd. When I tried to move the music files to "_ExternalSD" it said that the move failed. I finally decided to unmount the external sd card and all of a sudden the music files were found. I could listen and locate the files in Astro only when the external card was unmounted. When I mounted the card again to see if my speculation was right, the files "disappeared" but "reappeared" again when I unmounted it.

I know that the sd card is supposed to be mounted to read the files, but in my case it's the other way around. Did I do something wrong while transferring the files? Is there something I can do to fix this?

Advertisement

2. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    Right, to me it sounds like there has been a bit of a balls up, and you have copied the music to an actual folder on the internal card called /_ExternalSD, rather than the external SD card when mounted as /sdcard/_ExternalSD

This happened because you tried to use the USB storage in a way that it can't work.

When you plug the phone in, you should get two removable drives showing up, one internal, and one external SD.

Easily fixed though, plug the phone into the PC, and move the music out of the _ExternalSD folder, and onto the actual SD card, which will be under a seperate drive letter.