• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help External Speaker Volume

my external speaker can get loud enough... I got volume+ working too, and it might help. But my main problem is with the external speaker clipping out and distorting during calls. like the person I'm talking to is too quiet one minute but then says something loud and the speaker totally distorts... like it needs a compressor/equalizer or something... however, I don't have this problem with music, so it seems like it would be software related....

Upvote 0
For the life of me, I can't get Volume+ to work. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread and the link that Gapi provided. I made sure Volume+ was selected in the sound settings and tried different combinations of enabling speaker, advanced speaker and virtual room effect in the app, but no matter what I do the volume does not increase. I've tested different setting combinations starting at volume 1 all the way up to 15, but nothing changes. I even uninstalled the app and re-installed with no luck. I'm open to any other suggestions.

Upvote 0
PowerAmp music player also has a preamp option which boosts the sound. Volume+ helped some, but for music, I find poweramp to do a better job.

Still my problem is not so much with the volume level, but with the distortion during phone calls on speakerphone... I haven't seen an app that can help with that yet... :(

Upvote 0
My problem with apps that increase native volume: I'm an audiophile with some expertise in music engineering. I've recently noticed that certain ringtones that rany clearly on my DX sound distored on my DX. I'm talking about the kind of distortion that occurs when the speaker is not powerful enough to handle the sound. This tells me that the GN speaker is not powerful enough to sustain increased volume for certain sounds.

Think about car speakers or speakers in your home that deteriorated over time. It's easy to notice when we had our music way too loud and that caused the speakers to blow. It's harder to notice when we have our music a little too loud for the speaker and the speaker deteriorates prematurely over time, when the average ear is not aware of the problem. Once the speaker has gone downhill, I'm not aware of how to rehabilitate it. That said, I'm steering clear of all apps that increase external speaker volume because by the time you notice the speaker has gone downhill, it's too late.

Upvote 0
What is the name of the developer I do not see an app called volume +.
I see Volume Control + is this the app everyone is referring to ? :thinking:

I was using that and it worked but I changed to "Equalizer". Look at the spelling.
I moved them all over about 80% and hit the store button. No root required. Works across the board and you can fine tune it.

Someone @ Samsung dropped the ball on the audio.

Upvote 0
My problem with apps that increase native volume: I'm an audiophile with some expertise in music engineering. I've recently noticed that certain ringtones that rany clearly on my DX sound distored on my DX. I'm talking about the kind of distortion that occurs when the speaker is not powerful enough to handle the sound. This tells me that the GN speaker is not powerful enough to sustain increased volume for certain sounds.

Think about car speakers or speakers in your home that deteriorated over time. It's easy to notice when we had our music way too loud and that caused the speakers to blow. It's harder to notice when we have our music a little too loud for the speaker and the speaker deteriorates prematurely over time, when the average ear is not aware of the problem. Once the speaker has gone downhill, I'm not aware of how to rehabilitate it. That said, I'm steering clear of all apps that increase external speaker volume because by the time you notice the speaker has gone downhill, it's too late.

Very sound advice and I completely agree. Untill we know for sure it's NOT hardware it is not a good idea to use apps. as this IMO as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones