1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

External speakers not working through jack.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by toneman238, Dec 8, 2013.

1. toneman238

toneman238 Lurker

I recently began looking for small, portable external speakers for my Razr Maxx HD. I first tried the X-Mini II Capsule Speaker, ordered from Ebay. When I got it, I tried it on my phone, the provided audio plug fit perfectly into the 3.5 mm jack. When I played a song, the volume was very low, I could barely hear it. I then tried the speaker in several other devices that I have, the speaker worked perfectly. I then tried a pair of ear buds on my phone, I heard great from the buds.

I then bought the iHome iBT60B portable speaker from Walmart, same design, expandable bass, about 50% larger overall, although twice as expensive as the X-Mini, brought that home, and tried it on my phone. Same thing, could barely hear it when plugged into the phone's 3.5 mm jack.

But the iHome speaker is also Bluetooth compatible(the X-Mini is not), so I set up the Bluetooth on my phone, connected it to the speaker, played a song, and BOOM! worked perfectly, great sound, and super bass(vibrated the heck outta the table it was on). Does anyone have small, portable speakers that work through their 3.5 mm jack on this phone? Is it just a problem with the jack on my phone? As I mentioned, ear buds work fine through the jack.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

B;uetooth speakers have audio output stages in them to drive the speakers. Unpowered external speakers don't - they're designed for jacks with speaker-level audio. Your jack has earbud-level audio - much lower. You need amplified external speakers. (Or Bluetooth speakers.)

toneman238 likes this.
  3. toneman238

toneman238 Lurker

Thank You. How can I tell if speakers are amplified?

4. RazrHD132

RazrHD132 Newbie

Usually if you have to connect the speakers to its own power source, they have their own amplifier......

Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD Forum

The Motorola Droid RAZR HD / MAXX HD release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 3300mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews