• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help External Storage

godiverrs

Lurker
May 19, 2012
I am trying to find out if the mini usb port can be used for external storage. I am about to make a trip out of the country and the only real reason I need a laptop with me anymore is to download my underwater photos. If I could use the usb port to set up an SD card reader and download my photos to the ample 32gb mini sd card I can avoid a laptop all together now.

I am trying to find out if the mini usb port can be used for external storage. I am about to make a trip out of the country and the only real reason I need a laptop with me anymore is to download my underwater photos. If I could use the usb port to set up an SD card reader and download my photos to the ample 32gb mini sd card I can avoid a laptop all together now.

Short answer is NO.

The USB port on the Droid3 can only be used to connect the D3 to a USB Host port, not to connect USB devices to the D3 like you need to do.

There is talk in the Dev community of writing drivers for various Android devices like the Kindle Fire to perhaps enable USB hosting on those devices. I do not think such exists for the D3 though, at least not yet.

By the way, the usb port on the Droid3 is a microUSB port (miniUSB ports are a bit larger and sort of T-shaped) and the SDHC chip is a microSD sized chip, not mini-sized. You don't see many mini sd cards anymore,though they were used in some LG phones years ago, etcetra.

You could get a micro-SD to full SD adapter (they are usually free with the purchase of a micro-SD chip), and use your Droid3's chip to transfer photos from your camera's memory to the chip, thus freeing your camera's limited memory, but it would probably be even better just to buy a $20 (or so) 32gig SDHC chip to use in your camera, if it has a slot to it that in to. Buy a microSD 32 gig chip with an adapter and you can swap it back and forth between your phone and camera.

Happy travels !

Glenn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones