1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Extract data from a nandroid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jeremy1701, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jeremy1701

jeremy1701 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Okay heres the thing... I have but one app that didn't quite go right, FuelLog. I didn't export the data before I wiped and installed Android Revolution, so I'm missing about two months worth of fill ups. I realize I could rewipe, reinstall the old backup, export the data, rewipe again and reinstall AR, but I was thinking there must be an easier way. Can I extract the data from a nandroid or, even better, access the nandroid backup through the Android AVD? I'm running linux and have the AVD working.

Edit: I was able to restore the data using Titanium. Still, from what I've read online, it seems I should be able to run the nandroid from AVD:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=531576

This link is a little out dated, haven't found an update yet.

Advertisement

2. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    Are you using CWM 5? If so if i remember correctly it makes tar backups. Now i can't comfirm this as i haven't tried (i dont use cwm) but theoretically you should be able to open a tar backup within linux or a compression software that supports tar.

Also if you have Titanium Backup Pro you can restore apps from CWM 5 backups. The market pages shows apps+data.

jeremy1701 likes this.
  3. jeremy1701

jeremy1701 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Thanks Dots. Looks like I was editing my post as you were typing yours. You are correct, the backup is a tar.

4. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    Just to confirm. The recovery i use makes tar backups.

Booted up my Arch Linux machine. And was able to open up the .tar's of a nandroid with no issue. Also no issue with extracting the apk's. So should be able to extract a whole .tar if needed. Much better than the old yaffs2 nandroids :)