1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Extract radio/modem from tar.md5 package

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Forbidden 403, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Forbidden 403

Forbidden 403 Android Enthusiast

Is it possible to extract the modem/radio from the combined single tar.md5 file that we use to flash firmware via odin??

If yes then can someone post the method.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Forbidden 403

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Here is how I did it.
    Install an application like universal extractor for windows. Using it you can decompress the tar.md5 file.

It is basically a tar compressed file so any tar extractor should work.

But my work was only half done, I found the file modem.bin but I did not have a way to flash it to the phone. So this is the workaround I made:

I decompressed another CWM flashable modem zip file, replaced the modem.bin of that with the new modem.bin extracted from the firmware package and then rezipped all the files.

Flashed it via CWM recovery and it worked like a charm :)
    Managed to update my modem.

ironass and Kie like this.
  3. Kie

Kie Android Expert

Handy dandy! Modems are available on xda as standalone files (I think there's a thread here for them too), so if you don't feel like doing the long way next time, try those sources. The modem files provided are flashable too!

But it's a cool tip :D

4. Forbidden 403

Actually I had to do this the long way because that particular modem was not available on xda.

I initially had the LPS modem downloaded from the thread on androidforums.com only, but it was not tuned for my region (india) it was a XXLPS modem.

I found a firmware with the DDLP8 modem (LP8 modem for India region), so extracted the modem from there and then did what I wrote above.

Just worked on instinct and was really worried while flashing whether it would work or not and more importantly would it mess something :p .
    Discovered a neat trick instead :D

5. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

That's all very fine and dandy Forbidden 403... but there is a certain protocol that has to be followed, on here, for obtaining modems! ;)

Firstly, you must check out this thread by our very own modem king, Shotgun84:-

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-international-all-things-root/489457-latest-i9100-modems.html

You must then torment the hell out of him until he produces the required modem, (irrespective of whether or not you have managed to achieve your goal by other means). :D

It is, after all, Shotty's raisond'etre. :p

Shotgun84 likes this.
  6. Forbidden 403

My my, how did I miss this thread :eek:

Well now that I know the protocol, I'll surely keep it in mind from now onwards :p

Any how its still not late to pester him for the DDLP8 modem zip, I haven't uploaded the file online yet :evilgrin:

ironass likes this.
  7. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

:laugh:

If you do chide and pester him after this... I shall expect a PM from Shotty reminding me of my parents marital status! :hmmmm:

8. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

:D
    Its never too late for that. Everyone else does so why not join the party. The more the merrier

I've always pictured you as the guy propping up the bar, not the one standing behind it:D

Forbidden 403 and ironass like this.
  9. xanimedes

xanimedes Lurker

I've tried it and a little bit better than perfect.. thanx a lot from Colombia.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews