• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Extremely disappointed with AT&T's second class products

Would you describe AT&T's product releases as: (voting is anonymous)

• Cutting edge, leading the pack

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • About average

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Trailing behind the competition

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Trailing WAY behind the competition

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been waiting to upgrade my phone since early spring. Promises of an upcoming Samsung Galaxy S II kept me frustrated but hanging in there knowing that my dream phone would be available in the U.S. "any day now".

So just as the GSII is released we learn that the best of the family are going to Verizon and Sprint.

All the new leading edge phones are going to AT&T's competitors and I'm getting fed up. For now I'm willing to wait just a short while longer to get a true LTE Ice Cream Sandwich phone with specs that rival the Nexus Droid (Verizon). After that I'm outta here.

Unless I completely missed something besides screen size, how is "the best" of the SGS2 going to tmobile (not vzw) and sprint? Because they have a bigger screen? You'll get the same sgs2 you've been expecting all along from AT&T and that the rest of the world gets. The fact that tmo and sprint get a .2" bigger screen doesn't change anything for you, it's just kind of a surprise. Sprint doesn't get NFC and even if AT&T did get the 4.5" screen, there would still be something better/bigger/faster coming out later on.

And maybe AT&T didn't want the 4.5", maybe the infuse didn't sell so good (I have no idea). I do know I've had more than a few people tell me my 4.3" htc was too big for them to want.

If you're concerned about LTE, why? I don't know if they announced the gs2 will have it or not, but they don't even have towers up. The hspa+ that can theoretically do 14mbit isn't even backed by enough fiber going to the towers currently, why do you think they could do lte any better? If hspa+ was working properly, 14mbit is faster than probably 90% of the US's home internet connections, what are you going to be doing on a 4.3" (or 4.5") screen that needs higher bandwidth than a home network of 5 PCs an xbox, wii and blu-ray?

Can't be always worrying about if you have the best and if something better will come out later making you not the best. (It will.) Buy something that does what you need. They do design a line of phones in san francisco you know that you'll never have to worry about someone buying one of that same line better than yours for at least a year. (unless they come out with a more expensive white model mid-year)

But yeah AT&T has been kinda badly behind in Android for a while, they're doing as good as anyone else afaik this year though.

Upvote 0
My issue with AT&T phones is that I don't feel the variety of Android based phones that it appears the competition has. And to some extend I look at the phones in Europe too as I visit there often. I see so many phones that should be subsidized that are not. My last two phones I bought full price else where because AT&T had nothing to compete.

Upvote 0
You can thank little stevie jobs for the lack of quality devices on att. The saving factor for us has been when finally the iphone's availability on all other carriers, where att was no longer the sole-source for the device. NOW att is trying to catch up and appease the many customers they've pissed off over the years catering to stevies every whim and demand.

Upvote 0
I was originally disappointed with the att lineup but now that the htc vivid is out, I don't think its that bad. IMO, att has the best galaxy s II, and now there is even an LTE version. Verizon definitely will have the best line up with the droid razr and galaxy nexus. Also, they will get a galaxy s II version sooner or later. I will be getting the HTC vivid January 1st when I'm eligible for an upgrade. ATT gave me an early upgrade thinking I would get an iPhone 4s.

Upvote 0
I was originally disappointed with the att lineup but now that the htc vivid is out, I don't think its that bad. IMO, att has the best galaxy s II, and now there is even an LTE version. Verizon definitely will have the best line up with the droid razr and galaxy nexus. Also, they will get a galaxy s II version sooner or later. I will be getting the HTC vivid January 1st when I'm eligible for an upgrade. ATT gave me an early upgrade thinking I would get an iPhone 4s.

Yes, I agree, our selection is much better now tgan during that dry period. I am holding out for the Galaxy Note! Cooo that you got an early upgrade!... And...[Hide] Dont bite that apple! my brethren!

testifiih.jpg
[/Hide]

Upvote 0
As an iPhone user looking to wade into Android waters, I have to say I am underwhelmed with AT&T's android selection. The SGSII is a decent phone, but as a few others have stated, HD resolution is popping up on several Verizon devices in the coming weeks. If there was a Rezound equivalent for AT&T I would make the jump, but right now, we don't have any indication of a similar device....

Upvote 0
As an iPhone user looking to wade into Android waters, I have to say I am underwhelmed with AT&T's android selection. The SGSII is a decent phone, but as a few others have stated, HD resolution is popping up on several Verizon devices in the coming weeks. If there was a Rezound equivalent for AT&T I would make the jump, but right now, we don't have any indication of a similar device....

Hi Scott, I am glad you are giving Android a spin. I agree with you. It is k nown that ATT lags behind other carriers with quality android choices. We know the reason: jobs still got a grip on att, even from the grave. Nobs want to stamp out the competition and bind att to not releasing any phones that would rival iphone sales.... Now that all major carriers has the iphone, who knows how long att is stuck with the restricted device clause?

We the non-crapple customers suffered for atts greed.... Their throwing t he backflop ot ther to appease us was an insult.

I dont purchase my devices from atts online or store catalog if can help it....not
many good choices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones