1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Extremely frustrated - how the heck do I play ripped DVDs?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lucky Armpit, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Lucky Armpit

Lucky Armpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    IT Manager
    Rocky Mount, NC
    I've got a Galaxy tab 10.1 32 GB model. I am trying to rip DVDs into a format that the Tab will support so I can watch movies on it. I am using software called Foxreal DVD Ripper (trial version first) and it has "profiles" designed for the Galaxy Tab. It rips the movie (U571 in this example) into an .mp4 file. I have transferred the file to the Tab with no problem but it won't play with the stock video player. "Sorry, this video type cannot be played." I downloaded Rockplayer and it gave me the same error. It shouldn't be this hard.... what the heck am I doing wrong?

Advertisement

2. pm_phone

pm_phone Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    I've had problems with simple videos that should play.

My only solution was to download mobo player, and use it for all my video playback.

3. Lucky Armpit

None

Jul 15, 2010
    IT Manager
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Mobo player? I'll have to try that. What I'm trying to say, however, is that getting DVDs to the Tab seems to be more complicated than it needs to be. I tried ripping the aforementioned DVD again and transferred it to the Tab, again. This time it played no problem. Weird... maybe there was something wrong with the first few rips? Anyway, the quality of the Foxreal default Samsung Galaxy Tab settings was pretty good. I ripped it again using HD settings and also formatting it for 1280 x 720 to see which is better as far as size/quality/time goes. I connected it to the computer this time via USB as while the wireless transfer was nice, it was too slow.

4. substring

substring Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Can you download VLC and install it on your Tab? VLC can play .mp4 video with no problem.

5. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Im not sure about ripping DVD's, but for my movie files I convert them using HandBrake with the High Profile preset and they play just fine on the stock player for me.

HandBrake

6. StreakTheQuad

StreakTheQuad Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2010

+ 1 for handbrake

7. pm_phone

pm_phone Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    as far as I know, there is no VLC player for android. (but i'd love to see it)

VideoLAN - VLC media player for Android

8. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    CRNA
    Tennessee
    I use .mp4 and play them with mvideoplayer

9. Lucky Armpit

None

Jul 15, 2010
    IT Manager
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Thanks for the replies. It must have been the rips themselves as I re-did them and they play fine. I've been using Foxreal DVD Ripper and it seems to be more feature-rich than Any DVD Converter. I tried the 1280 x 720 setting and the movie size ended up being +4.5 GB... the computer would say "5 secs remaining" for transfer both wireless and wired and never finish. I figured the file size was too big for Android to handle so I gave up on that one. The happy medium seems to be the Foxreal Samsung Galaxy Tab HD setting which is a good balance between file size and quality.

I tried Handbrake, but it won't rip DVDs on the fly without a decoder. DVD43 finally makes a 64-bit decoder, but it's not compatible with Handbrake. I have Windows 7 64-bit or I'd use Handbrake with the DVD43 32-bit plugin.

10. Angelsfan

Angelsfan Member
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Anaheim, Ca
    I use anydvd and clone DVD mobile. Kinda on the pricy side but they do updates frequently. Clone DVD mobile will convert to whatever format you want. Been using it for years with no Problem. Check it out at slysoft.com

11. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    CRNA
    Tennessee
    yep. +1.

12. lisamig

lisamig Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    I use "Quick Media Converter Next Generation" to convert files to watch on my Galaxy tab 10.1. Personally I have 2 files on the computer, 1 marked "Movies" and the other marked "Converted Movies".

The program is free and can convert movies in to many different forms for watching on phones, tablets, pc, etc.

I leave the program in easy mode. Drop and drag the movie I want to convert. Click on the format I want to use. I have been using Xvid 16:9 for galaxay tab 10.1, the movies look great! Towards the middle at the bottom, you can direct it in to it's own folder. Then click the button next to it and it starts the conversion.

I have used this program to convert movies for my kids to watch on their phones. Very handy!

13. Spewy

Spewy Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Male
    Manchester, England
    I have only used it on an Android phone but "rockplayer" plays just about every format going. Not sure how well it will work on a tablet.