• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

extremely hot battery??????

Tonight the back of my incredible got extremely hot. Almost to the point I could not touch it. I powered it down and let it cool off. Then powered back up. It has been ok since then. The last thing I did before it started to get hot was charge it in my truck. I use the vehicle charger that I had bought and used on my storm. Would this cause it to happen?
I have been having a very short battery life. And have been trying to turn off several things to save on the battery with little help. But have been using it very heavily. So I figured it was par for the course.
Am letting the battery good all the way dead tonight before charging.
As i type this I am getting ahead of the keyboard. This has not happend before. I hope the battery getting hot didnot damage something.
Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Jon

It's normal for a Li-Ion battery to get "warm" during charging or heavy use, but it should most definately NOT be getting hot.

The car lighter port is not meant to power electronics really. They are meant to heat a metal coil for lightning cigarettes/etc. Sure, they can be used for it...but there isn't really a standard, lower quality...ntm just the way it plugs in is very problematic. Newer(ish) vehicles should be mostly fine on the quality side, but older ones can vary quite a bit from model to model, have high power fluctuations, looser fit, etc.

Long story short...I wonder if at some time if it managed to short. Shorting out a Li-Ion can get it very hot, very fast. Infact, you can get a very nastey fire going from shorting one out too long.

Upvote 0
Tonight the back of my incredible got extremely hot. Almost to the point I could not touch it. I powered it down and let it cool off. Then powered back up. It has been ok since then. The last thing I did before it started to get hot was charge it in my truck. I use the vehicle charger that I had bought and used on my storm. Would this cause it to happen?
I have been having a very short battery life. And have been trying to turn off several things to save on the battery with little help. But have been using it very heavily. So I figured it was par for the course.
Am letting the battery good all the way dead tonight before charging.
As i type this I am getting ahead of the keyboard. This has not happend before. I hope the battery getting hot didnot damage something.
Anyone else have anything like this happen?

Jon

Only time my phones have ever gotten to a temperature even remotely approaching "hot" is while doing GPS map navigation while charging it in the car.

My Touch Pro got pretty warm, so did my Touch Pro 2 and so does the Droid Incredible.

*shrug* its not "HOT" but definately quite warm.

Upvote 0
I was using the Maps Navi earlier and it was 92 degrees here and my phone was kinda in direct sunlight since i was driving towards the sunlight, and my phone overheated, got up to 150 degrees and wouldn't charge, so I unplugged it and kept running the Navi, bc I had to, 150 is by far the hottest any of my phones have ever gotten! I knew how hot it was bc I have the battery indicator app and it tells u...

Upvote 0
Ive added a battery monitor to see the temp if it happens again.
so far it has been staying fairly cool to the touch. and the keyboard is doing better now. I do plan on purchasing an extended battery for sure, don't want the added thickness though. so, will just get the one that will still fit in the existing cover.

I am very happy with this phone, and hope to get this battery issue worked out.
Jon

Upvote 0
If the temperature of the battery is getting too hot, its because the charging regulators are not working as designed. This is common in defective LiOn batteries and the battery should be replaced ASAP. Teh more you charge it the more hot it will get as the cells start to flood, and you run the risk of the battery exploding.

Please exchange the battery

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones