• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Extremely Noob Root Question

DVNO

Apr 22, 2010
Chicago
So Im finally back to android. I traded my bold 9700 to a guy on craigslist for a samsung vibrant. I'm pretty sure the phone is rooted, because there is a superuser app, my notification bar is black, and when i downloaded shootme it worked perfectly. There is also a mcr scripts app (not really sure what that is).

So basically my noob question is how can i now flash roms to my phone? Specifically this one.....xda-developers - View Single Post - Flashable Stock JK6 - Froyo 2.2 - *12/01/10* (Flashable Stock JK6 - Froyo 2.2 - *12/01/10*).

I can find tons of threads on how to completely root your phone and flash a rom but since im already rooted im not sure what to do, and do not want to F up my phone.

I have been having some problems with my phone, mainly dropped calls constantly and bad gps and not being able to connect to wifi.

Any help would be awesome, thanks guys and gals.

Sounds like you are rooted. However, before flashing any rom, I suggest you put your phone back to the original out of box state. You never know what kind of stuff he has done to it, such as lagfix, messing with partitions, etc, which may screw your phone if you try to flash a new rom.

I suggest doing the following, however, I am not an expert, so just use this as a starting guide to do further research.

1) Find "Eugenes Froyo That doesn't Brick" and flash that. Incase you have some kind of partition problem or voodoo or whatever, you need to flash that first to properly reset your partitions. You didn't mention though if you currently have 2.1 or 2.2, find out from people on xda or someone else here who may know, if flashing eugenes froyo in a 2.1 environment is safe to restore your partitions, or can it only be used for 2.2 to 2.2 restoration. I'm not sure.

2) Download Odin (latest version is 1.7). Also download the appropriate JFD pit and tar files to be used in odin. Apply those via ODIN in download mode, and you will have your phone back to JFD. Basically stock condition out of the box.

3) Now your phone is like brand new, download the root update.zip, and root your phone again.

4) Download "Rom Manager" and open Rom Manager and flash ClockWorkMod recovery. (clockworkmod recovery is inside Rom Manager, you will see it once you open rom manager)

5) Download the new Froyo JK6, put it on your internal SD.

6) Use Rom manager/clockworkmod recovery to apply your JK6 ROM.

use the above as a reference to do more research. There are also several videos on xda/youtube showing these steps.

Final caution. If you are 2.2, it is safe to use ODIN to go straight to 2.1 stock. However, if you use another method instead of odin to go from 2.2 to 2.1, you may brick your phone, unless you make sure the 2.1 ROM you are using to downgrade to 2.1 from 2.2 has the proper 2.1 kernel also. I know that was confusing.

basically 2.2 to (2.1Rom w/ 2.1 Kernal) is ok
But, 2.2 to (2.1ROM w/o a 2.1 kernal) is bad.
But odin is safe to go from 2.2 to 2.1 straight just by using the pit and tar files, unless you have partition issues or lagfix applied, then you need Eugenes froyo first, then Odin.

Hope that all made sense.

Btw eugene was some guy/developer on xda-forums, I guess he left and took all his files off that site, and now I think his own site is called eb-developers, or something like that. You will find it.

Reactions: DVNO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones