• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exynos or Snapdragon ?

Was thinking just now that a someone who will root and mod phones the Qualcomm may be better regardless: more owners = more devs, and Qualcomm have been more developer friendly than Samsung with the Exynos from what I hear.

Hard to say. One team doing CM said they wouldn't support it, the blogosphere extrapolated to infinity, and dogs slept with cats until CM came out with a statement that that group did not represent CM and they make no comments on unreleased devices.

I guess we'll see.

Upvote 0
I am not seeing the need anymore to mess with kernels or even roms anymore. Nova provides a fast UI layer over Cheese Wiz (my name for the Sammy UI). Back in the G1, Droid, Incredible and other earlier device days there was a functional and performance need to get the best out of the devices via mods- due mainly to resource and memory issues. The GS3 and Razr were the first devices I did not see the need to mess with anything, since the value add (IMO tiny) was not worth the risk of bricking.

Still, I understand some folks still thrive on it :) Just seems the devices perform so well now, there is less performance need.

BTW, seems comparing the chips is like the 360 (Snap 600) and PS3 (Octa). Both are FAST, but get there from a little bit different paths.

Upvote 0
I am not seeing the need anymore to mess with kernels or even roms anymore. Nova provides a fast UI layer over Cheese Wiz (my name for the Sammy UI). Back in the G1, Droid, Incredible and other earlier device days there was a functional and performance need to get the best out of the devices via mods- due mainly to resource and memory issues.
I'd have to agree with you on that. I just don't see the need anymore. And this is coming from a person who owns a Nexus.

The Galaxy S4 will be the first non-Nexus phone I'll own in quite some time. Do I care that I won't be able to root it? No. I don't even care about root anymore. It used to be that it was needed to root, I don't see the need now that it's getting more and more risky to root it in terms of bricking the device.

Upvote 0
Hopefully it's a driver issue but based on results we have the CPU is performance is slightly better but GPU performance is worse.

So for gamers Snapdragon 600 looks to be the better bet atm, also it's going to be by far the most popular version of the phone so should receive faster support.

Still curious to see how the battery life compares between the two.

Upvote 0
We're getting owner reports of really impressive battery life in the HTC One forum and that's backed up by numbers in AnandTech's in-depth review.

By inference, SGS4 Snapdragon 600 owners are in for a lot of happiness in the battery department.

The detailed microarchitecture discussions there may also be very interesting.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review

You'll have to page forward to those parts of interest to you, it's a long review.

Upvote 0
Now that it's been announced that the uk will be getting both the I9500 and the I9505 the question is which is better ? Exynos or Snapdragon ?

I've searched the web but can't find the answer. Anyone know ?

We don't know allot about the Exynos version other than it has a slightly faster CPU.

Sites haven't got hold of an Exynos version with final software yet so we don't really know much else, it should be more power efficient though so battery should last longer.

Also I'm not sure the Exynos version will support LTE in the UK.

I don't think the average user would notice any difference between the two, however I'm looking to get the Exynos version

Upvote 0
We don't know allot about the Exynos version other than it has a slightly faster CPU.

Sites haven't got hold of an Exynos version with final software yet so we don't really know much else, it should be more power efficient though so battery should last longer.

Also I'm not sure the Exynos version will support LTE in the UK.

I don't think the average user would notice any difference between the two, however I'm looking to get the Exynos version

I also heard uncertainty about whether Exynos would support LTE in the UK. Besides, at least from a US perspective, only the Snapdragon version will be available, and I thought internationally only the Exynos would be available. So in a majority of markets, it will either be 1 version or the other.

There won't be many markets I don't think, where customers will have the choice of either the Exynos or the Snapdragon version, they'll only have 1 version available based on the market they are in. In other words, regardless of what the performance comparison says, if most customers don't have a choice which version they can buy then it's almost a moot point isn't it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones