• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ezpdf's cpu leak kills battery

JimmyTheSaint

Jun 5, 2010
台北
I frequently use ezpdf for pdf's that come from various sources. For more than three months now, ezpdf has been suddenly hogging the cpus of my Galaxy Note and Galaxy S2, driving them at 50%. At first, I'd only notice this when I'd notice that the phone got hot for no reason, or there was a big unexplained reduction in battery percentage. Now, I'm always paranoid when using ezpdf, constantly feeling for elevated temperature with my hands (too easy to fool yourself with that technique), and constantly opening touchwiz's task manager to see if ezpdf is misbehaving again. Most of the time it is not, but it happens frequently enough to warrant constantly checking on it. The constant checking hurts my workflow, and makes for quite an unpleasant overall experience. When it occurs, I have to kill ezpdf from the task manager, then restart it.

Suffice it to say, I've pinpointed the problem to ezpdf: two different task managers verify that ezpdf is always the culprit. But I've never been able to detect any sort of pattern to the problem. It happens about 1-2 times per day, but then again I'm using ezpdf very frequently, so there's no telling what triggers ezpdf's cpu leak. It happens on both of my phones, and has been happening for at least three months, so that's a few version updates. I've emailed the developer about this twice in the last three months hoping he'd work with me a little, or give me a clue as to how to even begin to trace down the problem. This is a rather deadly problem because it leaves you with the choice of killing your workflow or your battery. So I'm surprised the dev hasn't been responsible enough to give me the courtesy of a reply, particularly when I've been methodical about determining that ezpdf is the problem--no other apps are ever implicated.

Any other ezpdf users notice this same problem, or experience any unexplained power drains? Any suggestions how to further trace this down, or how to get the dev off his ass?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones