• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Face Palm Moments

I was just reading the Best Beer and Working In A Cell Phone Store threads and, between the two, remembered a classic moment. You know, a face palm moment. Thought it would be fun to share them...we've all had at least one!

I had gone to dinner with a friend, who, oddly enough, is a teacher. I ordered a Dos Equis and she was oh-so-happy to tell me that that meant "two horses". I, as politely as possible, said no, it meant "two X's". She immediately pointed out that she was a teacher and had taken advanced Spanish during her Masters program and it meant "two horses". Sometimes you just can't argue, but you can giggle when the bottle comes and has two big X's on it, not two horse heads.

So...your moment?

I was working on my phone all day and loving it when I noticed my battery getting low. So, I plugged my phone into its charger and moved to my desktop computer. The first thing I did was try and tap the screen when I needed to open an app on my desktop computer. I tapped.. nothing. Tapped again.. still nothing. I was sitting there for a good 10 seconds wondering why tapping was doing nothing when I realized I was on my desktop monitor and putting fingerprints all over it.

Major face palm moment :)

Upvote 0
I was leaving my apartment and closed the door when I realized that I'd left my keys. I opened the door and since I'd turned the lights off already, I pulled the mini flashlight out of my pocket and proceeded to search for my keys. What was this mini flashlight attached to you ask? My keys. /facepalm

This is too good. Hehe:D

I'll post mine when I get to work... lol. Gotta hit the road.

Upvote 0
I had such a moment about an hour ago. I was baking chocolate chips cookies (yes, I was cooking in the middle of the night, don't ask). So I put them in the oven and had to wait 18 minutes for them to cook. A few moments later, I checked the oven and saw 00:16 on it. I checked again after a couple of minutes and saw that the oven showed 00:20! I got all confused and then realized that it was the clock and I hadn't actually set the timer on the oven.

That was an epic fail on my part. Remember kids, don't start cooking past midnight. ;)

Upvote 0
I usually have my extra keys that I don't use very often clipped to my belt loop on my jeans and one day i noticed all that was there was the clip and not the keys and I freaked out. I backtracked all over town running around like a maniac trying to find my keys before someone else did and finally I gave in to the fact they were gone forever. Later that night I went to have a shower and emptied my pockets and guess what was in my pocket, My keys. :)

Upvote 0
This is one of my coworker's facepalm moments.

One time I was talking to a coworker about a friend of mine who is a venue scout. He gets to go to all kinds of events for free just to check out the venue. I made the comment "I'm totally in the wrong line of work." My coworker said....."Where do you work?"
ROFL! Was your co-worker blonde?

Upvote 0
I had such a moment about an hour ago. I was baking chocolate chips cookies (yes, I was cooking in the middle of the night, don't ask). So I put them in the oven and had to wait 18 minutes for them to cook. A few moments later, I checked the oven and saw 00:16 on it. I checked again after a couple of minutes and saw that the oven showed 00:20! I got all confused and then realized that it was the clock and I hadn't actually set the timer on the oven.

That was an epic fail on my part. Remember kids, don't start cooking past midnight. ;)
I've done that while cooking! Military time on your household appliances can really muck things up sometimes.

Upvote 0
I usually have my extra keys that I don't use very often clipped to my belt loop on my jeans and one day i noticed all that was there was the clip and not the keys and I freaked out. I backtracked all over town running around like a maniac trying to find my keys before someone else did and finally I gave in to the fact they were gone forever. Later that night I went to have a shower and emptied my pockets and guess what was in my pocket, My keys. :)

yeah.. i done that before :cool:

how often have you looked for something... like your sunglasses or keys...
you know you looked on the kitchen table and only thing on it was some junk mail... you looked twice. you give up.. go sit at table to eat a snack.. and there they are!!!!

It always makes me think.. the blue people f-ed it up again!

ever watch the episode of The Twilight zone: a matter of minutes
YouTube - ‪The Twilight Zone: Matter of Minutes part 1‬‏

Upvote 0
I'm sure this also happened to a couple of other users here: I was looking for my hat. I don't even have to say where it was for you to understand. ;)

It's a good thing I stopped wearing hats. Even in the winter when it gets as cold as -40 (it's the same in degrees Celsius and in degrees Fahrenheit by the way. Or about 233 Kelvin if you're using the SI ;)).

Upvote 0
Oh boy - ok, here's one of mine.

While over at my dad's several Christmases ago, I was looking through his large collection of books. In his section of multi-volume sets, I came across 2 that struck me as odd. So I asked "Hey dad, why do you only have volumes 1 and 11 of this set? Where's the rest of them?" He briefly glanced over and said "Um, son, those are roman numarals". DOH! :eek:

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I'm taking out my contacts. I was wondering why it was taking so long to get one of them out. I'm steadily trying to get it out, then I realized a few frustrated minutes later......it was already out....the whole time I was rubbing my eyeball with no contact in it.....

/facepalm

how about looking for your prescription glasses... and everything is clear!

duh!!!
facepalm!

i got so tired of that.. i got laser eye surgery....
a year... trying to adjust my glasses... that were not on my face!!!!!

double duh!!!!

LMAO!! I do that to this day. I wear my glasses at home mostly, and when I start work on Mondays I do this from time to time.

Upvote 0
I'm taking out my contacts. I was wondering why it was taking so long to get one of them out. I'm steadily trying to get it out, then I realized a few frustrated minutes later......it was already out....the whole time I was rubbing my eyeball with no contact in it.....

/facepalm

i was reading and thinking..

taking out your contacts? for lunch? business? fun???
what is he doing talking about???

then you said "eyeball" ... wait... oh.. contact lens...

facepalm!

Upvote 0
Oh man I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. I do this sort of thing all the damn time. So often if fact that I came up with a theory long ago that for some reason sometimes my brain mislabels things for a brief moment, allowing me to do stupid things like pick my sunglasses up to look underneath them to find my sunglasses.

I know, doesn't make sense right? Here's what I mean... when you see something like a pop can for instance, your brain automatically labels it a 'pop can' for instant recognition (I learned all of this somewhere, but don't ask me where). It's similar to word recognition, when you read a book your mind recognizes entire words, it doesn't have to piece them together letter by letter, it sees a word no matter how long or short it is (so long as it's a word you're already familiar with) and instantly recognizes it and you comprehend it immediately. Which is why you can read along so fast no matter how long the words you're reading may be. Then all of a sudden when you come across a new word, even a short word like 'zleque', you would have to stop reading for a second to try and figure out what that word is, and what it meant. You could be reading through a book just zipping along and when you came to zleque you would have to pause for a second to try and comprehend what that word meant because your brain wouldn't recognize it.

Anyways, so your brain does the same thing with objects, so when you look at a pair of sunglasses your brain already labels them as sunglasses and comprehends everything you know about sunglasses. That way you don't have to pick them up everytime you see a pair of sunglasses and figure out what they're for, what they do. So my theory I came up with long ago is that sometimes, for whatever reason, when I'm looking for my sunglasses and I look over on the passenger seat where I left them last and they're sitting right there, my eyes see my sunglasses, but then my brain temporarily mislabels them... oh I dunno, a money clip or something. Therefore even though I'm looking right at them, my mind is thinking I'm looking at my money clip. So I pick up my money clip (sunglasses) to look underneath them for my sunglasses. Then a few seconds later I look at what I just picked up and go, "oh damn, they're right there in my hand".

I dunno, it sounds crazy I know. I just came up with that because I do that so often I couldn't figure out why else I did it.

Upvote 0
Wow, so I invented the 'brain fart' theory? Holy cow, I'm famous!!!

Oh yeah and the new 'Twilight Zone'... such a poor attempt to capitalize on a classic tv show. They in no way ever touched the greatness the original show achieved. For one thing when I watch the Twilight Zone, if it's not in black and white it's just not the same.

If they were ever to attempt a 3rd try at bringing back the Twilight Zone, they should do it in Black and White. It's the only way that show works.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Years ago, pre debit card days, I ran to the grocery store for the wife. I stand in line and when my turn comes they sack up thirty some dollars worth. I reach into my back pocket for the check book.. and it's not there. Only at that moment do I clearly remember setting it on the end table near the front door. God I hate being that guy holding up the line.. everyone staring. The cashier politely says.. I'll put them in the basket here and you can run back and pay for them. I run home.. feeling the fool I so often prove to be and grab the check book. Back again at the store I patiently wait in line to pay for my two sacks of groceries. The cashier says.. your total is still thirty whatever it was and smiled real big. I promptly flip open the check book and discover... you got to be kidding me... no checks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones