• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Face unlock lag?

nypcdoc

Oct 14, 2011
NY
Has anyone noticed a slight lag before the camera feature loads when first unlocking the phone? I could have swore it used to be quicker than the 2-3 second lag I experience.

If you are experiencing this issue, please visit the link below and STAR the complaint (thanks JC13):

Originally Posted by JC13
I opened a new issue on Google for this problem. I'm hoping it can be quickly fixed as I would love to continue using this feature. Please link over and star it if you feel this issue is important to fix as well.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23197

Also, add any notes/comments there if you feel I have left something out.

Attachments

• lockscreen.JPG
    lockscreen.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: KingDillinger
Mine started to lag a little after a while. My phone is not rooted.

It might have to do with the amount of training you give it. You can improve the recognition by training it in different situations. I've since switched back to swipe lock.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it has to do with recognition though, since the lag I'm experiencing has to do with the camera "getting started". Once the camera sees my face, the sped is just fine. :)

Upvote 0
stock here. You know what - I added a bunch of "training" pictures in different light, with glasses, etc. Anyone think the delay in starting up the camera could be tied to it pulling all the photos needed to compare for face unlock? I wonder if there is a way to delete face unlock pics, try again with 1 and see if it speeds it up again.

Upvote 0
stock here. You know what - I added a bunch of "training" pictures in different light, with glasses, etc. Anyone think the delay in starting up the camera could be tied to it pulling all the photos needed to compare for face unlock? I wonder if there is a way to delete face unlock pics, try again with 1 and see if it speeds it up again.

That is a good idea, but when I first started experiencing the lag, I only had one pic, so I added more just to compare. No difference. I then went into apps, found face unlock, force stopped it, cleared data, rebooted then set it up form scratch - same issues. I also reset camera settings to default- again, same lag!

Upvote 0
I just turned face rec. back on and went through the whole setup procedure again. It started out working great and experienced no lag. I then turned the phone off then on and got a considerable amount of lag from then on. I only have one picture assigned this time and it didn't lag at all after teh camera got booted up.

Oh well, thanks for trying.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Reactions: JC13
Upvote 0
Reactions: JC13
Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed a slight lag before the camera feature loads when first unlocking the phone? I could have swore it used to be quicker than the 2-3 second lag I experience.
I'm not sure how we're perceiving lag, here. My face unlock camera takes about 1-1.5 seconds to start, pretty consistently. I've always considered this normal, and I've been running stock 4.0.2 since the day of release.

Are others saying this 1.5 sec. max wait time is a "delay", based on a faster response? Or is mine the "quick response"?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones