• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook and here maps over 200mb on installation ?

I've recently purchased a Moto g 2015 and have been busy installing apps from Play store. I checked my remaining storage in the settings area of the phone and saw the Facebook app had installed at 204Mb and the Here maps at 238Mb whereas you'd have expected around 35Mb each. The issue is nothing to do with cached data in facebook or downloaded maps in Here, these app storage sizes were immediately following each apps installation. Anybody have an idea what might be happening, could the phone itself be providing incorrectc storage values ? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the same result also. Thanks

Are you sure Here's size wasn't to do with maps? As I recall its maps do show in the app data, so if it has a basic low-detail map on install that could well be what you are seeing. Or files for the speech synthesiser. I don't know why you say you'd expect 35MB, but if that's the Play Store size that is only the basic apk, and always less than installed size, sometimes a lot less.

I won't even attempt to guess with Facebook - they write dreadful mobile software and I'd just use a browser (or a wrapper around the mobile website like Tinfoil is you distrust their desire to track your browsing on other sites).

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
Both apps bloated so much I uninstalled them. Use the browser to access Facebook. Less memory used and less privacy concerns.

I tried Here for a few days and it took up so much memory that I just uninstalled. I just use a different app for GPS/maps

I finally reached the 'boiling point' with the FB app and I uninstalled it myself.
with a Bookmark established for FB in your browser, there just simply is no need for their bloated POS app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones