• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook app forces GPS

Am I okay with Facebook gathering my GPS information and not letting me to disable it?

• Yes, I don't mind if they have my location information at any time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I want them to have my location information.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, I don't want them gathering my location information at any time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't want them utilizing my GPS without my permission.

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted User

I noticed GPS was randomly going on and off while the Facebook app was running, but not after I left it. There's no option to disable it (just for Messenger). This is ridiculous. I was glad all the broo-haha about GPS tracking on apps because Apple and other companies did the right thing, but Facebook appears to not care and is snubbing legislation against it too from what I've heard. I've already wrote them and said I may talk to a state representative, but I don't understand why people aren't up in arms about it when they were when Apple and Google were doing it.

Is there a way to disable it? GPS is a big battery drain and privacy issue. I use nothing on there that requires GPS and I've disabled everything in all Facebook apps that use it and it's still tracking my location. Why does Facebook need this, how do I turn it off, and what do we do about it if they won't give us an option to disable it?

It's not a Facebook thing, and it's only active when needed. It's happening because you have"Use GPS satellites" enabled in your phone (under Location and security). It's not a big deal, and it only impacts battery when it is actively acquiring acquiring the satellite. Simply having it enabled has no effect on battery life.

You didn't read what I wrote. I wrote that it only happens when I'm using the Facebook app and not when I exit out to the homescreen. It's consistent. I go into the Facebook app, the GPS icon in the Android notification bar (left side) randomly goes on and off, and when I exit to the homescreen, it doesn't come back on again. If it's on when I exit, it immediately turns off. This is obviously the Facebook app gathering location information.

Upvote 0
If you turn off your GPS (more accurately, if you turn off access to the GPS) then Facebook cannot use it.

As for why people were outraged about the Apple tracking it was because they were keeping a log of the GPS data without permission or an explained reason. On the other hand to install the Facebook app you agree to a set of permissions that includes location information. You don't like it, uninstall Facebook - or turn off GPS.

Upvote 0
Don't tell me what I read. You just don't understand the answer. Yes, of COURSE it's happening when you're in Facebook... for the reason I stated. Disable "Use GPS satellites" and it won't happen. Sorry, but there is no way to selectively disable it for Facebook only.

I did understand the answer, which was that it won't happen if I turn off GPS... well that wasn't the point. The point is that the app always checks GPS, doesn't need it, and won't let me disable that "feature". I leave GPS on as a matter of convenience for other apps that require it and no other apps I use that don't require it try to use it... if they do and I can't disable that "feature" I uninstall them. Other apps I use that turn it on are location-necessary (like Maps or Foursquare) to do what I'm intending to do. There's nothing I do with Facebook that requires a location so I should have that option to turn the "feature" off.

Aside from this, I did discover what they do with that information, and it is to post on your timeline where you were when you accessed the Facebook app on your Android phone (I'm not sure if it does this on iOS), which I will post a screenshot of in a subsequent post. I'm really not happy about it and have disabled the app because of this and the fact that they're trying to get me to download an update outside of the Google Play store. They are really starting to look nefarious to me.

Upvote 0
I did understand the answer, which was that it won't happen if I turn off GPS... well that wasn't the point. The point is that the app always checks GPS, doesn't need it, and won't let me disable that "feature". I leave GPS on as a matter of convenience for other apps that require it and no other apps I use that don't require it try to use it... if they do and I can't disable that "feature" I uninstall them. Other apps I use that turn it on are location-necessary (like Maps or Foursquare) to do what I'm intending to do. There's nothing I do with Facebook that requires a location so I should have that option to turn the "feature" off.

Aside from this, I did discover what they do with that information, and it is to post on your timeline where you were when you accessed the Facebook app on your Android phone (I'm not sure if it does this on iOS), which I will post a screenshot of in a subsequent post. I'm really not happy about it and have disabled the app because of this and the fact that they're trying to get me to download an update outside of the Google Play store. They are really starting to look nefarious to me.

No way to disable Facebook location without disabling GPS. Just quit using Facebook or use a third party Facebook app.

Upvote 0
Here's a picture of what Facebook posted on my timeline:

a>
Facebook-GPS_zpsd7ffd708.png

That's every location I'd opened the Facebook app at within at least the last week. This was recorded and posted without notifying me, telling me what it would do, or giving me the option to prevent it. Not happy about it.

Upvote 0
Well that's weird. My Facebook doesn't post my location even if I open it at random places. I do have messenger location services turned off in Facebook settings though, so it won't broadcast my location when I send a message.

The only places in my Timeline that has a "log" on Facebook are places I actually checked into, or posted something about that place.

Upvote 0
Well that's weird. My Facebook doesn't post my location even if I open it at random places. I do have messenger location services turned off in Facebook settings though, so it won't broadcast my location when I send a message.

The only places in my Timeline that has a "log" on Facebook are places I actually checked into, or posted something about that place.

I checked my settings. I always noticed the GPS icon appearing in the notification screen when I launch FB. It posts my location in my timeline.

I looked through the settings and I found that location services is turned off on my FB app. However, on my FB Messenger app, it is turned on. I turned it off now and now that GPS icon no longer shows. It's pretty weird that I have to turn it off on both places (FB and FBM).

Update: Just noticed the GPS icon still turning on briefly when I launch FB. Back to square 1.

Upvote 0
I checked my settings. I always noticed the GPS icon appearing in the notification screen when I launch FB. It posts my location in my timeline.

I looked through the settings and I found that location services is turned off on my FB app. However, on my FB Messenger app, it is turned on. I turned it off now and now that GPS icon no longer shows. It's pretty weird that I have to turn it off on both places (FB and FBM).

Update: Just noticed the GPS icon still turning on briefly when I launch FB. Back to square 1.

It also flashes in my case, but it doesn't post my location for everybody to see, so I don't mind it flashing for like 3 seconds.

Upvote 0
I noticed mine would do that too, even though location services were turned to "off" in the Facebook settings. I did a bit of digging, and might have found out how to get it to stop (at least, it works on my device, a Droid DNA)

Check the Facebook App, make sure Location Services is "Off". Also make sure to do this in the Messenger App. Location Services to "Off". Then, in the settings of the Facebook App, under settings, UNcheck next to where it says "Chat Availability". If you have the Messenger App, there is no reason to have the Chat Availability checked, and I'm pretty sure that having that checked is allowing it to check on your location, as if "Location Services" were marked "ON" in the messenger app.

When I opened the FB app, I went straight in and turned it off as my GPS icon was flashing as though it was aquiring a location. As soon as I unchecked it, the icon disappeared, and hasnt show up since on multiple openings and closings of the FB app.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
You could install LBE Privacy Guard to stop Facebook or any other app you choose from gaining your location information. It can selectively block specific requests from specific apps and is highly-configurable. I've been using it for as long as I've had an android phone, it's always one of the first apps I install.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lbe.security.lite

There's another version called LBE Security Master. It works in JB and has many more features, only there's not an officialy translated English version. There is a thread on XDA where some people have translated it into English and several other languages:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1422479

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones