1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Facebook app massively drains battery

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Deyan, May 10, 2016.

1. Deyan

Deyan Lurker
    None

May 10, 2016
    Male
    Hello everyone i am using new Galaxy S7 for about month and a half and have never got such problems. Yesterday i took notice that my battery is lower than it should be, it showed that primarily fb drained it but i did not pay any attention. During the night i charged my phone and went to sleep with 92% when i woke up it was at 0. Apparently i received a fb notification around 2 o clock (like on a photo ) and something happened. I am uploading several screenshots. All help will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I don't use Facebook but I have read many times on here that the Facebook app is bloated garbage. Most people suggest to just use the web browser or alternatively try the Facebook lite app.

tube517 likes this.
  3. Deyan

Deyan Lurker
    None

May 10, 2016
    Male
    While I do agree that Facebook is buggy and bloated. I have used the app on Android for more than 2 years and never had such problems. Yes it affects battery performance but not to the point that 3000mah battery is reduced to zero for 5 hours idle time ( i was sleeping after all). I am just wondering if there is something wrong with this version of the app or my phone is the root of the problem.
    Edit: For one reason or the other i use the fb app and want to find a workaround however i have uninstalled it for the time being

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Nope. I have Facebook app and my drain is at around 1-2% per hour on idle. His is doing something wrong.

tube517 likes this.
  5. Deyan

Deyan Lurker
    None

May 10, 2016
    Male
    I know that that usage is abnormally high. I have been using the application long enough and for the life of me i cannot figure what could be the root cause, no settings or configurations should tax the battery so much. Also there is no significant data/wi-fi usage so i am perplexed.
    I am asking is if there is some known bug, if the same thing has happened to you or for any suggestions how to fix it (aside from not using it)

6. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    Male
    Wales
    Yes agreed Facebook is a battery hog, but I too use it and it shouldn't be draining like that. Did you recently receive an update? I would have suggested clearing cache and see what it's like then. Has it always been this bad on this phone or only recently?

7. Shazam52

Shazam52 Newbie
    None

May 10, 2016
    Male
    Swaziland
    If the sync was on, it could have kept FB alive in the background (just a thought). I would put the app on "power saver" under the app optimisation feature (Settings > Battery > Under "App Optimiser", click " Detail" > Facebook > Power Saver)

I'm basing this on the Note 5 settings sub-menus so it may have changed for the S7.

8. Deyan

Deyan Lurker
    None

May 10, 2016
    Male
    It was certainly not that bad in the beginning i stopped using it for a couple of weeks /logged out/ ( although it was installed and still received updates) and when i started using it again yesterday i noticed this behavior. I have uninstalled it and probably will install it again in couple of days, hoping it is a bug ( on facebook part) and it is fixed by then. If it is on android or samsung well ...

9. codezer0

codezer0 Android Enthusiast

Facebook app on Android is out of control in general. I've never not seen it behave that way, except on iOS, where Apple's controls force it to behave. Otherwise, literally every phone I used where it was preinstalled, it was draining battery like it was going out of style.

tube517 likes this.
  10. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    I don't use the app because it is a battery and resource hog.

tube517 likes this.
  11. fedsotto

fedsotto Lurker
    None

Sep 6, 2016
    I don't use it either. However, It happens the same with my wife phone.. Any ideas on how to avoid/reduce the drain?

12. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert
    None

May 20, 2013
    Male
    Director of a non profit
    Nelsonville, Ohio
    Don't use it. It is poorly coded, just use your browser.

codezer0 likes this.