• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook app privacy concern

sarash29

Lurker
Jul 30, 2013
I would like to adjust the privacy so when I comment on a post it doesn't tell everyone whether it was from mobile or pc. Some people have said this was removed but Ive updated the app and it still comes up every time. I find this a great privacy threat, it suggest you aren't home and encourages break-ins. I have all my location data turned off for this reason. Thanks in advance :)

I wasn't aware you could stop it saying if it's been posted via a mobile device :/ but then I've never really looked in to it as most people nowadays post via mobile/tablets at home because it's easier than being on the computer or dragging out the laptop. I only say this, as it's what I do... I rarely ever post on the pc and pretty much everyone I know is the same, so can't see people taking much notice what you've post from.

I can understand if you've been tagged in a location lets say 'Bob is with Ben at the zoo' for example. Which of course that you can deny or remove yourself from.

Upvote 0
I don't use their crappy, overly-permission-aggressive, battery-sucking app anymore (sorry, I just had to).

But from what I recall, under Settings in the facebook app there is something about allowing location access?
I think the location access actually puts where you are posting from, like 'Near this big town' or whatever, it has nothing to do with 'via mobile' that the OP seems concerned with. I've seen both at any rate.
I use the mobile site from my phone, have location access off and it sometimes says I've posted via mobile and sometimes doesn't. I've never had it (site or mobile) say I'm posting from 'near' anywhere...unless I have gone in and changed location access so I can say I'm at the hockey game etc.
AFAIK there is no way to block the via mobile other than using the full site.

EDIT: The other confounding variable is that FB changes stuff all the time so you can't really be sure what it's going to do day to day. lol. I just pulled up a friend's posts, she has locations set because it always says where she is (and she only uses her phone/app to post) and starting mid-day yesterday they just say 'via mobile'. There's just no winning with FB.

Upvote 0
I think the location access actually puts where you are posting from, like 'Near this big town' or whatever, it has nothing to do with 'via mobile' that the OP seems concerned with. I've seen both at any rate.
I use the mobile site from my phone, have location access off and it sometimes says I've posted via mobile and sometimes doesn't. I've never had it (site or mobile) say I'm posting from 'near' anywhere...unless I have gone in and changed location access so I can say I'm at the hockey game etc.
AFAIK there is no way to block the via mobile other than using the full site.

You are correct. But as galaxys4girl points out in her initial post here, if it simply says "mobile" that doesn't really mean they are not at home.

Upvote 0
You are correct. But as galaxys4girl points out in her initial post here, if it simply says "mobile" that doesn't really mean they are not at home.

Exactly. I was just trying to address the OP's concerns without going all "I hate FB and it's stupid app" in my reply.
But, I do hate FB and it's stupid app so use the mobile site. So yeah, galaxys4girly, join the movement!!

Upvote 0
DO IT! Join the legion!!!

Exactly. I was just trying to address the OP's concerns without going all "I hate FB and it's stupid app" in my reply.
But, I do hate FB and it's stupid app so use the mobile site. So yeah, galaxys4girly, join the movement!!

Lol I'm going to, the apps a joke and whenever they say they've made improvements it just gets worse!!

Upvote 0
Try using the mobile browser version of facebook just for a day. It is not as slick or fast as the app. And you won't get notifications.

For me, though, I find the mobile browser version good enough for someone who doesn't use facebook too often (i.e. me!). I balance that with my concerns about the facebook app and the decision to drop the facebook app was easy.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't know anything about these apps, but here are some reviews that might help you find an alternative facebook app

Best Facebook App Alternatives for Android

Top 10 Alternative Facebook Android Apps - Review by cellsouq.com

Faster, Leaner, Better - Alternatives To The Android Facebook App

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones