• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook App Question/Problem

kmr2010

Feb 11, 2011
I hope I don't get bashed for asking this...

but on my iPhone, the chat option only showed whenever I was actually inside of the app. On Android, no matter what I do (I've selected "go offline" several times) whenever I get on the actual computer, I have random FB chats I'm never notified of. So how in the world do I turn it off on my phone and KEEP it off??

Thanks in advance for any help.

I hope I don't get bashed for asking this...

but on my iPhone, the chat option only showed whenever I was actually inside of the app. On Android, no matter what I do (I've selected "go offline" several times) whenever I get on the actual computer, I have random FB chats I'm never notified of. So how in the world do I turn it off on my phone and KEEP it off??

Thanks in advance for any help.

The notifications for FB on Android sucks compared to the iPhone app. On Droid it will only notify you on messages, events, and friend requests. So if someone is sending you a chat, posting to your wall, or responding to a wall post you made you will not be notified. I guess the only advantage is having chat, which the iPhone app doesn't have, but I've never used it on the Droid app.

It would be nice if they updated it to notify when you have wall posts, responses to wall posts, and likes on your wall. At least make the two versions notifications similar...

Upvote 0
The notifications for FB on Android sucks compared to the iPhone app. On Droid it will only notify you on messages, events, and friend requests. So if someone is sending you a chat, posting to your wall, or responding to a wall post you made you will not be notified. I guess the only advantage is having chat, which the iPhone app doesn't have, but I've never used it on the Droid app.

It would be nice if they updated it to notify when you have wall posts, responses to wall posts, and likes on your wall. At least make the two versions notifications similar...

I haven't gotten any "push" notifications yet from the Droid FB app, which honestly doesn't bother me a whole, whole lot because I still love this phone, but the constant being online on chat irks me. Especially since I 1) am rarely on an actual computer and 2) don't want to chat with the creeps who chat me lol

Upvote 0
You're definitely right about the iPhone notifications not coming through regularly.

I actually un-installed the last update and some notifications have been coming through.

I done what you said about going offline on the computer and it worked, thank you!! Now I only go online if I'm actually on a computer.

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones