• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook App - Tagged people, tagged events, etc.. unclickable

Kyle Wisdom

Nov 26, 2018
Forgive me (and please point me in the right direction) if this has already been posted, but I haven't found anything yet.

But I have been having a weird problem with the Facebook App on my Note 8.

I've already ensured its up to date and I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled it without any change.

The problem is this: When I scroll by a post that says "John and 17 others were tagged in a post" or "Julie posted in Family Christmas Event", etc... When I click on those things, it just opens the comments for that post.

Just a couple of weeks ago, if I clicked the name of the event, it would open the event. If I clicked the "and 17 others" tagged, it would show me a list of everyone tagged.

But now, it just opens the comments section, no matter where I click.

Anyone else experience this, and more importantly, anyone find a fix? :)

Thanks!

Kyle

That's what I meant. Facebook notifications, not Android notifications. I can't seem to recreate what you are seeing. Maybe a screenshot would help. (please blank or blur any personal information)
It isn't a notification at all, it is the news feed, its just a post.

Here is a screenshot. The two arrows point to things I should (and used to be able to) click on. When I click on the "Evergreen Christian Community" it should take me to the page. The second screenshot shows what happens when I click it, it shows the comments section.

Whether I click on the link in the post or click the name of the page, both of them open up the comments section.

Let me know if that makes more sense, thanks!
FacebookApp.jpg FacebookAppClicked.jpg

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Okay. I just opened that Facebook page and clicked on the url and it took me right to the web page. Clicking on the title took me to the group's page. My Facebook app version is 198.0.0.53.101 if that helps.

You might try going to menu>settings>apps>facebook and clearing the app data and then reboot the phone. Mind you, this should change all settings to default for Facebook and you'll have to log in again, but there's not much else you can try.

Upvote 0
There are a lot of other Note 8 users complaining about this in the Google Play reviews for the app

Interesting. What is your default browser? Perhaps it's something conflicting with the Samsung webkit or webview? I would assume that after your reset and it worked, there were updates that needed to be applied. Ultimately if it's something that is only happening on Samsung Notes, then it's between Facebook and Samsung.

We have seen issues before with Samsung bundled apps and Android updates. Those two don't play well together. :(

Reactions: Kyle Wisdom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones