1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Facebook/ bloatware removal?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Are21, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Are21

Are21 Newbie

I have a Samsung galaxy s6 which comes with all kinds of annoying bloatware but the one that is the most irritating is Facebook. No matter how many times I 'uninstall', 'uninstall updates' or stop it running, it always pops back up.
    Is there any way of permanently getting rid of it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

If it's preinstalled you can't remove it unless you root. You should however be able to uninstall any updates and disable it, settings>apps>all>facebook>disable. This should hide it from you application draw I think.

3. Are21

Are21 Newbie

I have tried disabling it and it works for a short amount of time, then reappears when i manually go to stop all running apps.
    What does rooting a phone mean? Sorry I'm very much a beginner

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Samsungs coming with Facebook pre-installed and can't be removed unless rooted. I've seen that before with PCCW branded Samsungs from Hong Kong. I presume you got it from a carrier, subsidized. If so, which carrier?

Rooting may depend on the particular version of the S6 you've got, not without risk, and definitely voids the warranty. What actual model or version have you got there?

#4 mikedt, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

Hmm, I thought disabling an app stopped it until you re-enabled, or at least until the phone was switched off, I don't bother so I wouldn't know I suppose. I am stuck for suggestions then I'm afraid without root.

Rooting probably isn't something you would want to look into being a new user unless Facebook really does cause that big a gripe for you or unless you are interested in tinkering around with your phone that way, and as Mike said, rooting will possibly void warranty and you could end up with a useless brick if something goes wrong.

That said, as long as instructions followed properly and precisely, rooting can be a good thing and reasonably easy when you know what you are doing. You can, as you wish to now, remove bloatware, improve performance/battery life, get custom versions of android and lot's of times, particularly if you are carrier locked, get updates sooner than you would (I am in UK on EE and they are still on Lollipop for G4, probably not going to see Marshmallow update for a while as only last week they pushed another LP update through, my last G4 I had rooted Marshmallow by about November I believe), and there are numerous apps and patches you can have the customise and protect your phone and many other things. That said, it does also make it more vulnerable to attack and just breaking if you aren't careful and there are also some apps that won't work with root (one of my banks block me from using the app with root).

I'm waffling now on something that may not even interest you at all. If Facebook really does cause you that much grief take a look at the threads in the Android Rooting subforum, probably particularly General Rooting Discussion - please read BEFORE posting

mikedt likes this.
  6. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Check out Package Disabler Pro at the Play Store. Made for Samsung phones to dissable bloat without root.

AZgl1500 and SavageRobot like this.