1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Facebook is having it's way with my phone log!

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by lance m, Mar 19, 2016.

1. lance m

lance m Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male
    I am confident that Facebook is getting it's hands on my phone log and/or possibly my Google contacts. How can I prevent this? And I already checked with FB's privacy settings, no mention of it there.

I called a moving company from a print ad (they have no website). I entered him into my contacts. We spoke and texted that's it via my Android, Galaxy Note 3. He is now on my "people you may know" in FB. Worse my first and last name are on his FB.

This has been happening to alot of people on dating web sites (me included) but I couldn't tell if maybe the sites and Google had some arrangement but now I realize it's got nothing to do with internet contact. FB is getting the relationship straight from my Android and it's pissing me of. Not enough however to sell my FB stock, which has dome nothing but continually go up in value;)

Any ideas on how to put a stop to this short of closing my FB/Google accounts would be appreciated.

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    simple, trash the Facebook app.

you don't need it. and it will give you better battery life.

use a browser instead, and you will have more control.

BustaLime, lance m, jplsteel and 4 others like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China

I think FB has hands on of very much everything on your phone, certainly most if not all of your private and personal stuff.
    Screenshot_2016-03-20-11-29-46-17.png

To prevent it, don't use the FB app, use a browser instead.

4. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Facebook. Privacy. Pick one.

But really, as mentioned, use the web browser. The Facebook app permissions are very extensive. If you are on marshmallow you can deny permissions to the app, but being an s3, I assume you're not on marshmallow?

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I honestly find it disturbing that people give permissions to apps to rummage through their contacts and yet get mad at something the app asked permission for and was granted.

BustaLime and Dannydet like this.
  6. lance m

lance m Lurker
    None

Mar 19, 2016
    Male
    Hey Guys, thanx for all your suggestions. Oh and chanchan05, I'm glad I was able to disturb you, that pleases me. Hopefully I'll continue to do so.

If I deny permissions to all the apps I want to use I might as well get a flip phone again. Of all the 100's of permissions I've granted this is the ONLY one that has directly and noticeably impacted me.

I'm on version 5, lollipop. So If I get marshmallow I can individually deny permissions and still use the app? Can I upgrade my phone to Marshmallow now? I took your advice and dumped the app and struggle to use the browser version which sucks. I will be curious to see if this does the trick.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    It's disturbing because you are allowing people to do stuff and you aren't realizing it. I do use the Facebook app and I know this happens and don't mind it though.

However, people should really take a longer look at permissions. Anyway, you don't need to disable all permissions. Just the ones that you feel you don't want the app to do.