• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook Messenger update (3 January, 2013)

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
An updated version of Facebook messenger popped up today. According to the front page of Phandroid:

"Facebook Messenger is receiving a sizeable update this evening, introducing thumb-happy texters into the world of real voice messaging (that thing you used to use a phone for). Now, jumping into the application and pressing on the

But I noticed in the permissions it is asking for rights to: edit your text messages (sms or mms), read your text messages (sms or mms), receive messages (mms), receive text messages (sms) and send sms messages.

Is this new??? Has anyone updated and seen anything new in the settings?

I have not updated the app yet and it already has these permissions.

Reactions: gtbarry
Upvote 0
I have not updated the app yet and it already has these permissions.

Correct. I checked and facebook messenger has always had this. I guess I just didn't notice before.

I just have a general distrust for all things facebook. Since everytime they update the Android facebook app it turns on location settings, etc even though I have always had them turned off.

For now I have uninstalled the facebook messenger app completely. So, now messages via facebook come in via a standard facebook alert in my notification bar. I can always install it if I find a need for it in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones