• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook Messenger

my trick works without eating 50MB of internal storage. when the Facebook app inevitably tells you to install Messenger (it nags you with 'later' or 'not now' three times prior) go into your app settings and tap Facebook and hit 'clear data'. login again and your inbuilt messaging works again. this proves that they didn't kill the feature but are blocking it after x number of uses via some type of internet port which the app saves to cache. clearing data removes this cache and restores the function until it gets timed out again.

I just refuse to go back to the old days of chat clients. it's like going backwards. having a central 'hub' in one app is ten times better.

Upvote 0
my trick works without eating 50MB of internal storage. when the Facebook app inevitably tells you to install Messenger (it nags you with 'later' or 'not now' three times prior) go into your app settings and tap Facebook and hit 'clear data'. login again and your inbuilt messaging works again. this proves that they didn't kill the feature but are blocking it after x number of uses via some type of internet port which the app saves to cache. clearing data removes this cache and restores the function until it gets timed out again.

I just refuse to go back to the old days of chat clients. it's like going backwards. having a central 'hub' in one app is ten times better.

DID YOU SEE ME USE A CHAT CLIENT IN THE VIDEO?! THE ANSWER IS NO. THE CHAT CLIENT IS DISABLED.

In regards to your 50 mb, are you serious? Where do you live, and what sort of phone do you have, to worry about 50 mb?

It's ironic, that your point remains "don't go backwards," when you reinforce it with "it takes up 50 mb."

Get a new phone man. Get to 3G... Whoever is the executor of your estate, ask them to give you some sort of allowance, or to make the purchase themselves.

Upvote 0
If you PM me an address that you can receive mail at, I will send you a phone which sneezes at 50 mb. Free.

Oh no, all of your phones, based off your profile, already far surpass a need to worry about 50 mb... It's your own value of that amount of memory, that drives you to keep saying that.

You win.

Upvote 0
regardless of the total available storage on any device i own, i choose not to waste any of it. it's better served for media and music than a redundant app. However, far more than internal storage is at stake. inefficient swapping between two apps when one does the job just fine, and wakelock issues, and very sketchy permissions.

However, for the sake of anyone reading this thread, there actually are folks out there who still carry around budget and lower-end devices who might not like the idea of 50MB being used up. so my point is for more than myself. many share it. just Google anything regarding being forced to use Messenger and many hate the move. it's not the app that's to blame, but if Facebook cared enough for their users they would allow them to make the choice on their own. there is simply zero point in forcing anyone to use an app.

If Facebook thinks that everyone will love their stupid Messenger app, they're sadly mistaken. forcing it is a horrible move. those who think the seperate app is good would have already installed it. it has no purpose in being forced. none. not one.

Upvote 0
the only point i can see in using Messenger is if you don't use the Facebook app at all and only need the messaging capabilities. using them both is inferior to having the tab in the app where i'd be in anyway. it's less convenient to shuffle between two apps to do the job of one. doesn't matter anyway i can restore in-app messaging easily. i just wish i could block whatever TCP port makes that 'forced change' happen in a week or two. i can restore it by clearing data but eventually it tries forcing me again. so if i could discover the port used to turn the option off in time, i could restore it indefinitely. i've tried using older versions but eventually they, too, try forcing the app.

For the record, i'm not against the app for anyone who likes it. but i do not like the idea of forcing everyone to use it. some might like redundant chat apps on their device, but some would rather have it built into their social apps they already use. a shame you can't even get the messaging feature to run in Hangouts along with Google+ and SMS, since that app comes with the phone and is more usable than Messenger. i don't like using separate email apps either, i prefer one that has all my accounts in combined view. so it's not Facebook alone. i just think a central hub is superior.

Upvote 0
Horses for courses - I like to keep different communication methods separate, so if I used G+ or FB messaging I'd not want them integrated with SMS (and indeed don't have Hangouts on my phone).

That said, you ask how to stop FB making the "forced change". Maybe that's what the OP's suggestion of "install messenger then disable it" is doing? I don't have the FB app at all so haven't been following closely, but it seems likely to me.

Upvote 0
You have a choice to use the app or not.......
It's facebooks app and they have a right to do with it as they please as long as they abide by Google policy's.

I think everything is way overblown. I love the app. Others don't, but a lot of folks don't like it because of what they have heard and haven't taken the time to find out for themselves.

Upvote 0
My Facebook app still hasn't been disabled... I can still message just fine. And boy is Nkasim taking it seriously that not everybody wants a separate app.

At this point, abundance of time, keeps me coming back to this.

Since I started this topic, I have become a regular Messenger user. Love it.

I was just trying to help folks who have a problem with it (since when it came out, a lot of people seemed to be having issues with redundancy).

I'm sorry if I sounded like I took it overboard.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
There are those that do and those that don't.
We need a tips forum where workarounds and alternatives can be listed with no discussion. Tips can be discussed in appropriate forum if anyone has questions or issues.

I've picked up lots of useful hints over the years. Since I leave the phone alone once I've got it to where I want it, I stop looking for those tips. Then I'll get a new phone or have to reload the old one, and can't find the tip again.

I search like libraries do - new search engines don't so I have trouble finding stuff again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones