1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Facebook Phishing malware??

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gfeldmanhill, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gfeldmanhill

gfeldmanhill Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi all,

So, recently, I've started getting a pop-up (an app, not a pop-up window) on my phone saying that my facebook password needed to be re-entered. Of course, I was suspicious - I opened the real facebook app and all was well. My guess is that I've got some sort of phishing malware.

Has anyone else seen this?

I downloaded Lookout Security and did a scan, but it didn't find anything (which makes me a bit more nervous).

At any rate, I'm now thinking I should purchase anti-spyware/antivirus for my phone. Lookout and NQ Mobile seem to be popular, and there's always the mobile versions of the big PC guys: Norton, Kapersky, McAfee, BitDefender and ESET.

Any recommendations, besides based the popularity?

Thanks!!

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    That may be a variant of AirPush.
    Install 'Addons Detector' and let it analyze your (free) apps.

Only the filter 'Push Notifications' is relevant.

EDIT: But I think, it isn't AirPush. AirPush is annoying advertisement, this seems to be phishing.

Before you make a factory reset you might try an other method to find the app which is responsibly for this popup.

Hunt down this phishing app with the aid of the phone logging app 'aLogcat' (free in Market).
    But be warned, you'll need some experience with logs or the will to learn it ;)

Start 'aLogcat', clear its log and tip HOME button so that 'aLogcat' can run in the back ground.

Wait until the popup appears and tap on the CANCEL button (or on OK with a false password :D )
    Return quickly to 'aLogcat' (via long press on the HOME button).
    Now you should see some clues about the phishing app in the log's last rows.

Good luck :)

EDIT2: Other thinking ... have look at that thread ... looks similiar

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=480938

... have you GO Launcher EX Notification installed?

Harry

jerofld likes this.
  3. gfeldmanhill

gfeldmanhill Lurker
    None

Sep 23, 2011
    @Harry2, Thanks for the advice.
    I've grabbed the utilities you mentioned. Nothing unusual came up with Addons Detector, and I'm waiting for the message to appear again to use the log.

oh, and yes, I have Go Launcher EX, Go SMS Pro & Widget, Go Contacts EX, Go Weather, Go Calendar widget. :cool:

Thanks again,