1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Facebook preloaded on HTC vs. FB app (see link)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by techie_mom, Feb 7, 2011.

1. techie_mom

techie_mom Lurker

I've read through all threads dealing with Facebook and I'm pretty sure my problem/question is very different.

I purchased an HTC Incredible that had been used for 2 weeks as a floor demo for our local Verizon store. It was practically brand new, no scratches, etc.

It came with Facebook on it and well, the app just seems very different from what I am used to seeing with my BB Storm. I knew there were differences, but this is a bit extreme or am I just overreacting.

I went into my Account Settings and the Facebook Mobile and changes my phone from BB Smartphone to Android and I got this FB page with a scannable barcode. Login | Facebook What is the difference in apps should I scan this code and begin using this app?

I'm a bit freaked out by the technology with this phone. It took me a few days to get used to the BB Storm, but this thing is really kicking my butt. :eek:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member

The one loaded on from HTC is the older version, it got a major overhaul after the Incredible came out. You can just get it in the market if you want. FB app for Android is pretty shitty to be honest though

3. techie_mom

techie_mom Lurker

Thanks for the warning tmarr. :(

4. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert

I don't know that that is true anymore. I've never had an iPhone so obviously I can not speak first hand but I did do a little research because I was interested. I hear (and read) that comment all the time, that the iPhone app is superior to Android's Facebook app. This is a fairly recent post featuring a photo of the iPhone Facebook app. It's remarkably similar to my Facebook app on my Incredible.

The post talks about Facebook Deals which may be an added feature to what Android's app does, but I'm not sure about that. I think when I got my Incredible in April, iPhone's app was much better but Android development of the app has come a long way. I can't really see much difference in them now.

5. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member

iPhone always gets the updates before us, meaning they are 1 step ahead of us. Atleast so far that is how its been. They have had chat for a long time now and we just got it recently. Also my FB app randomly "cannot retrieve data" and I've never gotten it before on my old iPod Touch.

6. The new FB update introduced chat, which drains the battery while preventing the phone from sleeping. I would stay away from it for now.

7. BombTheSystem

BombTheSystem Newbie

I just use touch.facebook on my browser so I have no use for the app the app does suck nothing ever loads up correctly but then again nothing is perfect.

8. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

i've never had a single problem with the facebook for android app, and it definitely doesn't keep my phone from sleeping or drain any more battery than normal. (latest version)

9. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert

Mine does have this issue on the newest version, in fact my Eris on 2.2 wasn't ever able to be updated above 1.4.1 because of the same issue.

10. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Extreme Android User

Weird, I know one release they did have an issue with keeping phones awake, but supposedly fixed it a few days later, but I guess it didn't fix it for everyone.
    But like I said, my wife and I have neither had a problem with it.

11. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert

Yeah I have yet to figure out what's causing it. I thought it might be a CM problem since they are known to have conflicts with certain apps, but AOSP 2.2 ROMs did it to. And this was way before chat was added so there's no way that could have been the culprit.

12. tmarr

tmarr Well-Known Member

All my FB notifications were set to OFF and I still got a notifiation for everything. Pissed me off, the new update fixed it though (thank god)

13. vasilator

vasilator Well-Known Member

It's true trust me. You still can't change profile picture, and the application is not nearly as smooth as the Iphone applications.

14. DieselBDC

DieselBDC Member

Just found out the other day that in the browser, in FB touch, scroll to the bottom and go to full site. Now you can go to your profile on the top right and change you profile picture that way.

15. shawsker

shawsker Lurker

Has anyone had problems with the mobile web facebook? They must of updated it yesterday because it functions different and not well at all. The tabs don't work. I can click on profile and it does nothing.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews