• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook push notifications

alex_ncfc

Aug 1, 2010
UK
Hi, hoping someone can help. Not sure if I am missing something, but I was sure that Facebook for Android supported Push notifications as long as you were on Android 2.2 or later? Well my girlfriend has just got the new Samsung Galaxy S 2 with 2.3.3 and no notifications are coming through. Is there any option that needs to be set?

Thanks

I don't actually have a Galaxy S2 phone yet, however, I have a question to see if I can assist. Did she have the notifications setup on her previous phone? If not, then what she will need to do is log onto her facebook profile, select Account, then Account Settings. There will be a Notifications tab at the top, select that. Next, she will need to select each option that she wants to receive notifications for from her profile, making sure to check the correct option of Email or SMS. If she wants to receive notifications directly from the Facebook App on her phone, she will need to launch the app and then go into the settings option after possibly clicking the Menu button and turn on which options she wants to receive notifications for. Hope this helps.

Reactions: franmorr1966
Upvote 0
Have the same problem, I dont think the app is working as intended or its a setting that I have switched off on the phone, have checked the 'settings' in the app and all data/sync on the SG2 is switched on, I have WIFI only connect for data set but am connected to this 24/7 anyway...but still no joy

...weird that the lowest sync option is 1 hour on the phone but the app is 30 mins... data usage I suspect (ie not running up yer bill for ya)

Notifications used to work a treat on my Palm Pre not sure whats wrong with the Android App or SG2...

will continue to look into it...

Red.

Upvote 0
Just went through all the phone data, app data and even logged onto Fb with PC and toggled the notifications...

Just got 3 new Fb notifications through...so I must have done summat right, but since I did this all at once I cant tell ya which was the thing that trigged it all...

Give the toggle everything off/on method a try...

Red.

Upvote 0
sorry to dig up this old thread but im having the same problem. running 2.3.4 now, but it didnt work on 2.3.3 either. i just realised i wasnt getting push notifications when i noticed my friend getting beeps every few min on her desire S from facebook.. under facebook android settings, i can only set an interval, minimum 30min..so its not push. and i can only select notifications for events, messages, friend requests.. is it a compatibility problem with the SGS2? i assume it works fine on the desire S, although that could be using that htc facebook app.. any help?

EDIT: the desire S push notifications work on the facebook for HTC app. so it doenst apply to this but im pretty sure i read that the new fb app supports push notifications

Upvote 0
actually, checking the FB app, i found that there are only notifications available for Messages, new friend requests and event notifications. i found that a bit dumb, as most people would be more interested in notifications for a photo comment, tags.. pretty much all the notifications u'd see on the facebook site.

however, i still dont get push notifications. there is still a sync interval on my facebook app's settings, and the closest it gets to push is a sync every 30min, which is obviously not push. wats up?

Upvote 0
I tried what Woodsb suggested by setting up notifications through FB for my phone. Testing it out as I write this to see if I begin getting notifications again. Since I downloaded 2.3.3 not only haven't I gotten FB notifications but I've been having a much more difficult time with typing on the keyboard! Kind of disappointed in many ways.

Well, amazingly and surprisingly Woodsb's suggestion worked for me. I've been getting FB notifications again coming to the phone. I really can't believe it. It's a hallelujah moment! woo hooo

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones